[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Why are Social Workers so vilified? - Page 5 - Carers UK Forum

Why are Social Workers so vilified?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
132 posts
I don't believe for one minute that people are tarring every one with the same brush, but there is such a danger of that happening in society,IMHO. I try very hard not to do that. Speak as you find, and that is what's happening here, isn't it?
As someone else said on this thread earlier, social work has changed considerably over the last 60 years and especially over t last twenty years. Also there is considerable difference between adult services and children's. Services.

It has evolved from the Poor Laws and the National Assistance Act of 1948
Social Services was formed on 1st April 1971 (I often smile at the date!) when the former Children's Department, Mental Health Department, and Welfare Department merged.
I have met 100's of social workers and I have not met one single one who has either listened nor acted correctly in the whole entire time I've had my son. If other people knew the level I have had to tolerate they would be horrified and they would not catch their breath at some of the things these workers have done. I'm talking the very worst possible treatment anyone could ever imagine. Worse than torture and I'm not in any way shape or form exaggerating either. It is factual not just my opinion either. Oh, and by the way, I have given every one of them the benefit of the doubt and welcomed them into my home before anything happened to create this problem.
charm_1965 wrote: That's when this thread started grating on me...this site is NOT about social workers and how they 'feel'. It is for carers. Mick shouldn't be allowed to write on site about social workers in this way in order to upset many carers no doubt who have been through hell at social workers hands and I agree this thread should be removed. The longer it stays up the more it grates on me right now...and that isn't good at all...as I'm already VERY VERY angry about what is going on with my son with social care.
I am a carer too, the only carer to my wife who has terminal cancer.
Greta wrote:Charm, I take your point. My problem is that I always consider that a SW might be overworked and constrained financially but I feel that by writing in this way, Mick is assuming we are all thick and insensitive and is teaching us how to behave. Of course it is frustrating for the social worker, but which of us has said it isn't? When have I poured vitriol on the SW I saw although she was not personally responsible but her superior was? I just don't like being put in my place.
No I was not doing what you assume I was Greta, I was simply presenting another perspective, in a way that would perhaps enable others to see things differently. Too often the SW is the target of another's pain and anger and does not deserve that.
We Carers, yes!! I am one too!! (I am the only carer to my wife who has terminal cancer)
Carers need to target their anger and pain appropriately if they are to effect any change.
Michael Carers UK wrote:Hello all. It's been interesting to read your posts in relation to your varying experiences of dealing with social workers. I spoke to colleagues in our Advice and Information team this afternoon and they said you would be very welcome to contact the Adviceline if you have any questions relating to social workers (e.g. what your rights are and how to make a complaint). To contact the Adviceline, please call 0808 8087777 or email adviceline@carersuk.org (Mon-Fri 10.00-4.00).
In the next few weeks we will also be holding an 'Ask the Expert' session with one of Carers UK's advisers and so you will also have the opportunity to ask questions and make comments on this topic then.
By all means continue to post on this thread too, but please be respectful of each other's differing views and avoid inflammatory language. Your anger in relation to your experiences of the social workers you describe is fully understandable, but please try to avoid any comments that could identify individuals and avoid generalising about social workers as a whole as there may be some members who use the forum who also work as social workers.

Thanks
Michael
I welcome the opening up of this subject as it is only by understanding an issue from different perspectives that we can learn to effect change. I have been 'on the other side' and I am now sole carer for my wife who has terminal cancer.
In my opinion, for too long two main things have happened which have contributed to the undermining of delivery of service by Social Services Departments.
The first is that sometimes SWs allow themselves to be 'drawn in' and in their attempts to ameliorate a situation they try too hard and fail to maintain a professional distance. They are not and should not be the client's friend. (And let's remember who is the real client, often it is not the carer.)
The second is that anger and frustration is transferred on to the SW.
The SW, in most cases, is not the appropriate target.
If the SW is then do something effective about it.
If you want to effect change then go for the appropriate target.
Mick_1707 wrote:
Greta wrote:Charm, I take your point. My problem is that I always consider that a SW might be overworked and constrained financially but I feel that by writing in this way, Mick is assuming we are all thick and insensitive and is teaching us how to behave. Of course it is frustrating for the social worker, but which of us has said it isn't? When have I poured vitriol on the SW I saw although she was not personally responsible but her superior was? I just don't like being put in my place.
No I was not, I was presenting another perspective, in a way that would perhaps enable others to see things differently. Too often the SW is the target of another's pain and anger and does not deserve that.
We Carers, yes I am one too, the only one to my wife who has terminal cancer need to target our anger and pain appropriately if we are to effect any change.
Hi Mick, Let me say first I have the greatest respect and understanding for you caring for your wife. I know what you're going through totally. My mother died at just 51 of terminal cancer after being given the all clear under 2 years before. Regarding your post here I have to say to you...it was the way it was written that got to me and I want to say to you that in my opinion, it did no justice for putting the other side forward from social workers view. It actually made me feel angrier because of what has been done and the way it was done to me and my family. It brought up things I have long ago put away. How long is it since you practiced social work? I just wondered? To be completely fair and I'm going to say this, the service in Birmingham has been rated the worst in the Country for a number of years and there is a reason for this as I'm sure you know there must be. It is absolutely the case that upline managers and their managers who are creating the situation but social workers are 'having' to go along with it and it's gross and affecting many people using the services being trusting of the service only to find out they aren't being heard and problems are being very deliberately created. Problems which weren't there before. When something happens, as a result of this, there's not even a sorry anymore from the service.There's an awful lot of lies being told to cover up( including the social worker) and sometimes denial even in the face of the services not logically actually being able to deny. I'm very serious when I'm saying this as it's affecting lives(and very young lives) and not only the lives of the disabled who are signposted for assistance and not receiving any. I have had many very extreme bad experiences at Birmingham social cares hands which should never have happened. I don't know what it's completely like for others in other parts of the Country as I've had no contact with Social care in any other areas to be able to say whether the experience is different. I really don't think I'm alone with what I have said. My anger has been caused by what's been done and the consequences of very wrong bad social work.
Mick_1707 wrote:
No I was not doing what you assume I was Greta, I was simply presenting another perspective, in a way that would perhaps enable others to see things differently. Too often the SW is the target of another's pain and anger and does not deserve that.
We Carers, yes!! I am one too!! (I am the only carer to my wife who has terminal cancer)
Carers need to target their anger and pain appropriately if they are to effect any change.
I'm sorry about your situation, Mick. I did read your first messages on the board. I think you wanted to talk about it but not to have advice. I have known a few people with terminal cancer as I went through breast cancer treatment myself. It's a heartbreaking situation, and actually worse for the carer I think.

It is true that carers should target their anger appropriately. At the same time, social workers, who deal with one case after another, are in a better position to understand that emotions run high. They surely ought to be trained to understand they are entering a minefield, whereas the carer may find himself or herself in that situation for the first time without warning.

You say that social workers sometimes make the mistake of being drawn in, and that carers should direct their emotions at an effective target. Yes, but I think that's a normal part of life and suppressing all our emotions isn't going to work even if it were a good thing.
Charm, Good morning. You wrote ''I know what you're going through totally.''
Unfortunately you actually have no idea whatsoever as to what I am going through, just as I have no idea of what you or anyone else are going through. We can only imagine and empathise.
As to the way I wrote what I did? What was wrong with that?
Perhaps as it made you angry, you need to look at yourself and the real reasons why; not me.
I am not responsible for your feelings; you are.
Oh and before you get angry over that just think about it; we, ourselves, are the only people truly responsible for how we allow ourselves to feel or do about anything though others may change our situation.
132 posts