[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Who will offer disabled people a job - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Who will offer disabled people a job

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
The Times guy is wrong.

There needs to be a total shift in culture and attitude on all sides, not solely disabled people.
So much easier to lump everyone together and deny their individuality but at the end of the day nothing is achieved because the one-size-fits-all model fits no-one.
As Blunkett was given £20,000 a year to do his job because of his disability, I believe this was about 30% of his wage, then should all other disabled in work ask for an extra 30% on top of their wage to do their job? Well if it is good enough for the MPs then it is good enough for the ordinary disabled person.
When they brought in the disabled person's working tax credit I emailed the Cabinet Office as they no longer showed the disability addition to MPs' salaries and asked what it was, I received an email in reply stating that they had to protect the privacy of MPs, note that I wasn't asking in relation to a specific MP merely for them to provide a figure which had up to then been in the public realm Image , I thought that the comparison would be interesting.
Under the Freedom of Information Act I would have thought they'd have to give that information, given recent decisions.
It was a while back, Charles, the WTC came in 2003/4, I don't think that the FOI was in force then and if it was I wasn't sufficiently interested to fight for the information. The disabled worker element of WTC was £2040, if I remember correctly the addition to an MP's salary in previous years was £15,000, a bit of a difference.
I guessed it was a while back, Parsifal, but it's one of those things that would be interesting to know about now. I'd guess it's now part of the "blank cheque" expenses allowance.
As Blunkett was given £20,000 a year to do his job because of his disability, I believe this was about 30% of his wage, then should all other disabled in work ask for an extra 30% on top of their wage to do their job? Well if it is good enough for the MPs then it is good enough for the ordinary disabled person.
Blunkett was not a special case, and his amazing career towards the second most powerful job in government as as Home secretary started inauspiciously as a working class boy growing up in one of Sheffield's poorest areas. His father died in an industrial accident when he was just a lad. Born with a degenerative condition, his sight was virtually gone by the age of ten. He was sent to a very tough boarding school for the blind in the Welsh marches.

He struggled to fight the low expectations of everyone around him, taking night classes to gain University entry qualifications. As Sheffield university, he became a local councillor and eventual leader of the City Council, whilst getting married, having three children, and commencing his career as a teacher - a job which almost nobody believed that he could do. Faced with a class of tough kids, he was able to take control from the start by sheer force of personality.

There was no special help in those days apart from the basics available to any blind person.
it worries me , i would like a little part time job at the weekends , to help with the finances , but i have got that many problems with myself im not sure what to do .. im a carer for my autistic son thomas , but i also have problems , i don't claim any benefits .

ive got a plate in my left arm and a screw in my right wrist , im asthmatic , i suffer from excema on my hands / fingers & legs and arms , i suffer from kidney problems as well , in 1992 i had a kidney reflux operation , ive got 3/4 of one kidney and 1/4 of the other , i have to have regular bloodtest's to see if they are still alright and not rotting away any more .. im totally fed up , because on application forms you have to put your disabilitys , to me im alright , i walk talk etc , but there are lots im unable to do , my husband has taken over loads of my house old chores/jobs .. i was involved in a big RTA in 1993 just after my kidney operation , thats why ive got a plate in my left arm ..

im totally depressed i would love a little job , but there is not much i can do .. i might try a college course to do IT ..

i feel a bit selfish wanting to get a little job , because im a full time mother / carer ..

i was contemplating DLA , but i feel i wont be entitled to it ..

thankyou for reading , sorry to go on so much ..

see u from kerry ..
Kerry, too many people don't claim what they are entitled to. The national benefits scandal is not that there is £600 million benefit fraud, it's that over £3 billion goes unclaimed, according to government figures.

You may or may not be entitled to DLA, but you certainly won't get it if you don't make a claim. Whenever people say they're not sure I advise them to make a claim: the worst the DWP can do is say no.