Social Care On It's Knees ? Where Has the Author Been For The Past Decade ?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
How I " Love " articles like this one ... read on :

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 41611.html

Social care on its knees and government must act on funding and staff this year, MPs warn.

Promotional advertising campaign needed to attract social care workers driven out by low pay, low morale and Brexit.

The government must announce and implement a credible solution to address the long-term underfunding of adult social care by the end of 2018, MPs have said.

A green paper from the Department of Health and Social Care, expected in summer, also risks underestimating the challenges in resolving the crisis, particularly in retaining underpaid, poorly motivated staff after Brexit.

In a report released today, the Commons Public Accounts Committee (PAC) found little evidence that the existing, lightly regulated private care market is helping to deliver care in an affordable manner.

The PAC found worrying evidence that care is being prioritised to people needing the most support and care packages for people with moderate needs, such as an older person at risk of falls or becoming malnourished, is taking longer.

This could become more costly in the long run if patients are hospitalised and need a hip operation from a bad fall, or develop more serious infections or disease because they’re not looking after their health.

Age UK has warned that 1.2 million older people in the UK have unmet social care needs.

The British Medical Association (BMA) said it was “astonishing” that the government still has no plan in place, adding that the underfunding of social care directly contributed to the crisis in the health service each winter.

One solution, proposed in a separate report also published today by the Nuffield Trust health policy think tank, is for the UK to implement a dedicated social care tax that is already used in Japan.

A third of the Japanese population is expected to be over the age of 65 by 2040 – part of these care needs is funded through a form of national insurance paid by all people over 40.

It makes use of care navigators to help those in need of care and their families develop their care plan and coordinate carers, and ensure services – including exercise classes – are available to all older people regardless of their need.

The report said the system, which aims to promote long-term good health, was in stark contrast to the short-term, budget driven approach in the UK.

As well as the need for swift action on future funding, the PAC report recommends that the government launches a major review of the care workforce, particularly how it will find suitable staff after Britain leaves the European Union and calling for a national campaign to promote the role.

PAC chair Meg Hillier said the low regard for care work in the UK was a “source of national shame”, adding: “The sector is scraping by and without an explicit, long-term plan backed by government it could soon be on its knees.

“Levels of unmet need are high and rising; short-term funding fixes are a road to nowhere and the ingrained issues that lead to high turnover in the workforce could be compounded by Brexit.

“We urge government to publish this year, and then implement, a credible long-term funding plan for care.”

BMA chair Dr Chaand Nagpaul said: “The significant pressures facing social care are a direct result of inadequate funding.

“This is having a knock-on effect in an already overstretched and underfunded NHS – when social care isn’t available, patients end up being unnecessarily sent to hospital and can experience delays in being discharged to appropriate social care settings.”

A Department of Health and Social Care spokesperson said: “We know the social care system is under pressure – that’s why we’ve provided an extra £2bn funding to the sector and a further £150m for the next year, and will shortly outline the government’s plans to reform social care to ensure it is sustainable for the future.

“We are also working on a joint health and social care workforce strategy to ensure the system is able to meet the demands of our growing ageing population as well as looking at ways to promote social care as a career of choice and attract staff to the profession.”

Finished ?

What's missing ?

Need a clue ?

US ... FAMILY CARERS ... THE WHOLE ARMY OF 6.5 MILLION+ !!!

No mention of our role ... yet again !!!

Need more " Family " carers ?

Perhaps ... how about a few sweeteners ?

A new definition of family carer ... remove the various restrictions for claiming Carers Pittance ... not workers but a new category on , say , half the minimum wage ... throw in recombining the NHS and social care and ... hey presto ... rays of sunshine appear throughout the length and breadth of CarerLand ???

Cost wise ... 2 family carers for every one new care worker.

Unison will " Welcome " these proposals with ... ???

Still , one solution ... and a better result for all family carers and , at the same time , for many of our carees !!!
And did you hear the proposal last night that seniors should pay more for NHS and contribute to young adults because the older population has had it too easy!
Yep.

A case of the pathfinder ( Leaking to the media ... Daily Mail a prime candidate ... to start alienating a section of the populace ) to be followed by the bombers ( Change in Government policy after softening up " Joe Public " ).

A Government speciality no matter whichever Party is in power.
"Promotional advertising campaign needed to attract social care workers driven out by low pay, low morale and Brexit. "

Oh, that will really solve the problem, won't it! Spending money on advertising!

The PROBLEM you dumb-morons in government is not that no one KNOWS that jobs in care work exist - it's that NO ONE WANTS TO DO THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE SO SH*T (sorry re language, but it' the only word that fits!)

Our great leaders have taken exactly the same dumb-moron attitude to the crisis in teacher numbers! Those sanctimonious LYING adverts on the telly....

If they'd DARED to film a 'real' class in a 'real' school, and watched the bloody RIOT that teachers face (oh, and stabbings, let's not forget that from the Class Psycho!) (who should be on a Pysch Ward but hey, that would cost to much!), at least that would have the merit of truth.
..... and number of family carers , even after reading all the downsides as our Lord Kitch spells out , increases day by day.

" Caring is a choice ! "

For some , their caree would not be of this Sad New World if they gave up caring.

Funny old world ... it ain't !
Chris From The Gulag wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:02 am
How I " Love " articles like this one ... read on :

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 41611.html

Social care on its knees and government must act on funding and staff this year, MPs warn.

Promotional advertising campaign needed to attract social care workers driven out by low pay, low morale and Brexit.

The government must announce and implement a credible solution to address the long-term underfunding of adult social care by the end of 2018, MPs have said.

A green paper from the Department of Health and Social Care, expected in summer, also risks underestimating the challenges in resolving the crisis, particularly in retaining underpaid, poorly motivated staff after Brexit.

In a report released today, the Commons Public Accounts Committee (PAC) found little evidence that the existing, lightly regulated private care market is helping to deliver care in an affordable manner.

The PAC found worrying evidence that care is being prioritised to people needing the most support and care packages for people with moderate needs, such as an older person at risk of falls or becoming malnourished, is taking longer.

This could become more costly in the long run if patients are hospitalised and need a hip operation from a bad fall, or develop more serious infections or disease because they’re not looking after their health.

Age UK has warned that 1.2 million older people in the UK have unmet social care needs.

The British Medical Association (BMA) said it was “astonishing” that the government still has no plan in place, adding that the underfunding of social care directly contributed to the crisis in the health service each winter.

One solution, proposed in a separate report also published today by the Nuffield Trust health policy think tank, is for the UK to implement a dedicated social care tax that is already used in Japan.

A third of the Japanese population is expected to be over the age of 65 by 2040 – part of these care needs is funded through a form of national insurance paid by all people over 40.

It makes use of care navigators to help those in need of care and their families develop their care plan and coordinate carers, and ensure services – including exercise classes – are available to all older people regardless of their need.

The report said the system, which aims to promote long-term good health, was in stark contrast to the short-term, budget driven approach in the UK.

As well as the need for swift action on future funding, the PAC report recommends that the government launches a major review of the care workforce, particularly how it will find suitable staff after Britain leaves the European Union and calling for a national campaign to promote the role.

PAC chair Meg Hillier said the low regard for care work in the UK was a “source of national shame”, adding: “The sector is scraping by and without an explicit, long-term plan backed by government it could soon be on its knees.

“Levels of unmet need are high and rising; short-term funding fixes are a road to nowhere and the ingrained issues that lead to high turnover in the workforce could be compounded by Brexit.

“We urge government to publish this year, and then implement, a credible long-term funding plan for care.”

BMA chair Dr Chaand Nagpaul said: “The significant pressures facing social care are a direct result of inadequate funding.

“This is having a knock-on effect in an already overstretched and underfunded NHS – when social care isn’t available, patients end up being unnecessarily sent to hospital and can experience delays in being discharged to appropriate social care settings.”

A Department of Health and Social Care spokesperson said: “We know the social care system is under pressure – that’s why we’ve provided an extra £2bn funding to the sector and a further £150m for the next year, and will shortly outline the government’s plans to reform social care to ensure it is sustainable for the future.

“We are also working on a joint health and social care workforce strategy to ensure the system is able to meet the demands of our growing ageing population as well as looking at ways to promote social care as a career of choice and attract staff to the profession.”

Finished ?

What's missing ?

Need a clue ?

US ... FAMILY CARERS ... THE WHOLE ARMY OF 6.5 MILLION+ !!!

No mention of our role ... yet again !!!

Need more " Family " carers ?

Perhaps ... how about a few sweeteners ?

A new definition of family carer ... remove the various restrictions for claiming Carers Pittance ... not workers but a new category on , say , half the minimum wage ... throw in recombining the NHS and social care and ... hey presto ... rays of sunshine appear throughout the length and breadth of CarerLand ???

Cost wise ... 2 family carers for every one new care worker.

Unison will " Welcome " these proposals with ... ???

Still , one solution ... and a better result for all family carers and , at the same time , for many of our carees !!!
Add to this that I applied for carers allowance in September. I received one payment in January for September to January and nothing since. I keep of ringing them and they speak to me like I'm a scrounger. Does anyone actually get carers allowance?
I am fed up with the focus on elderly care with the government forgetting that there are genuinely disabled people under pension age, children like my son brain damaged at birth thanks to a trainee nurse without proper supervision! There are many genuine cases on the forum of people under pension age genuinely unable to work, needing help. Disability doesn't just apply to the elderly. I've now been a carer since I was 27, almost 40 years. As a pensioner I now get nothing due to the "overlapping rule".
bowlingbun wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 5:50 am
I am fed up with the focus on elderly care with the government forgetting that there are genuinely disabled people under pension age, children like my son brain damaged at birth thanks to a trainee nurse without proper supervision! There are many genuine cases on the forum of people under pension age genuinely unable to work, needing help. Disability doesn't just apply to the elderly. I've now been a carer since I was 27, almost 40 years. As a pensioner I now get nothing due to the "overlapping rule".
This is so true. I spent so much time telling people <at the last general election, that the so called dementia tax applied to anyone who needs care for whatever reason ie stroke, cancer etc etc etc.
jenny lucas wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:46 pm
"Promotional advertising campaign needed to attract social care workers driven out by low pay, low morale and Brexit. "

Oh, that will really solve the problem, won't it! Spending money on advertising!

The PROBLEM you dumb-morons in government is not that no one KNOWS that jobs in care work exist - it's that NO ONE WANTS TO DO THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE SO SH*T (sorry re language, but it' the only word that fits!)

Our great leaders have taken exactly the same dumb-moron attitude to the crisis in teacher numbers! Those sanctimonious LYING adverts on the telly....

If they'd DARED to film a 'real' class in a 'real' school, and watched the bloody RIOT that teachers face (oh, and stabbings, let's not forget that from the Class Psycho!) (who should be on a Pysch Ward but hey, that would cost to much!), at least that would have the merit of truth.
Like, like , like. Those adverts get to me too. I left teaching 4 years ago to care and I go cold at what's happened to education. before I left I was often heard to say that the golden years had gone.