[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Where's the best place to live? - Carers UK Forum

Where's the best place to live?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
My disabled son is 15 and we’ve decided he’s staying on at school till he’s 19 basically because haven’t got a clue what will happen after school. Although college has been mentioned, I can’t see it somehow (he's basically a baby).

I’m dreading him leaving school and transferring to adult services. I’m sure I read somewhere around the internet that said disable children have much better services than adults because of The Children’s Act. I got the impression that when they’re adults it’s a case of, “Yeh joking, aren’t yeh?â€Â
Well I would say West Wales is worth looking at house prices are good at the mo. Local hospitals are fine. Not bad post 16 education. Carmarthen ss are ok Home care is very good. If you want me to find out anything in area let me know.
depends where in West wales. In Pembrokeshire, if you want respite care, your child, once they have reached 18, has to pay out £155 a week.(maximum of 6 weeks per year) Most families cannot afford that, so respite care is not used a lot by many families. I believe the Welsh assembly is looking into this, as Pembs families have to make a bigger contribution than any other county.
When we lived in West Wiltshire the support we received from Adult Services, PCT and GP was a BIG FAT ZERO!!!! Having recently moved to the New Forest in Hampshire, I cannot speak highly enough about the support, assistance, advice, supply of mobility aids, supply of Carers etc. This support has come from both Hampshire County Council Adult Services, New Forest District Council Supported Living Scheme and the PCT and our GP.

The greatest aspect is the fact that everybody involved in my wife's Care Plan actually communicate with each other and that in itself makes getting what we need so much easier. I'm not saying that everything is perfect (there's always more that you need!) but considering the short time we have lived here; we have so much already in place.

Wishing you all the best of luck in your search.

Ndem
Well, when we lived in North East Wales, every time we breathed the official powers that be, gave us the Spanish Inquisition. Every time we had a visit from any type of official department - the SS or the NHS or DNs - we would get asked the same questions and have to relate hubby's injury story all over again right from day one, which was 16 years ago. Everything was a fight and we had to justify everything we needed, from incontinence bed mats to the need for rubber gloves and blue paper towel for bowel days. They gave us incorrect information about Cont Health Care, don't know or understand their own rules set down by the Welsh Assembly and, we believe, that Wales as a whole does not have the financial capabilities to administer things as set down in Assembly rules. Scotland seem to be able to stand on their own two feet quite happily, England seems to muddle through somehow, but Wales generally doesn't seem to have the money to do so. We were so fed up with fighting and defending ourselves that we moved back to England, where people have just taken one look at hubby and put two and two together. Like, oh, this man's tetraplegic, he's never going to get better, only worse, so he must need this and this and this and it's obvious he has always needed this and this and this ever since his first injury. They seem to have much more understanding of people's needs, perhaps it's just Shropshire.
i can't say where to live but i can say not lancashire. The hospital should be closed for what use it is. actually i think the death rate would go down.

the social services and facilities and support for carers are abismal... need i go on?
Scotland has great scenery, affordable housing, a vibrant cosmopolitan culture, friendly people, and mostly free social care services. All you need is midge repellant, and a little bit of care where you live.
Norfolk is Pants Image
Vicky
Another thing to consider in the transition from child to adult services is the time issue.
In our area many placements can take anything from 18 months to 2 years to access.The problem lies not only with the funding depending on the package needed, but also placements are getting less and most places have waiting lists.
I would have to say having lived in four different areas this has proved to be the best for willingness to support etc. That does not mean there is always money available of course. Nor that there are not frustrations.

I think I read recently that the services on the south coast were in fact recognised as being good at supporting the higher than normal elderly population and this seems to extend to the disabled as well.