[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Where/How To Obtain A Carer's Educational Grant - Carers UK Forum

Where/How To Obtain A Carer's Educational Grant

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Good afternoon,
I'm hoping that someone could assist me with this query. I a am full- time carer in receipt of Carer's Allowance. I would like to do some courses with my local Adult Education Centre to help me get back into full-time work eventually. The downside is that the courses cost £500 in total. Does anyone know of any establishments that offers educational grants to carers. The courses are not covered by student grants etc. I am 51 years old and care for my daughter who has a learning disability.

Many thanks foryour help.
Marie Image
Hi Marie.

Welcome to the site.

My 9 yr old has Autism.

I would be interested too as when my son is at school i do get an hour or 2 to myself. ( sometimes )

I have a job focus interview coming up but the are useless, wont fund anything as i wont be work ready when the course finishes still be nice to train if i can in something.

Sorry couldnt answer your question but wanted to welcome you anyway x
You need to chjeck first to ensure that your courses are not fulltime. If you are doing over a certain amount of hours in education, you will lose your Carers Allowance. It does not matter that you can be caring for the rest of the day and night, you will still lose it.
It is probably worth phoning Carers UK helpline to find ut how many hours you can do.
Sorry to be pessimistic,but unfortunately, this is what the Government says. A few years ago, I looked at returning to nursing, which would have involved further edcuation,as I had been out for more than 10 years, but we would have had virtually no income as a family. Daft really, as in the end, we could have been off income support and council tax benefit,(plus Carers Allowance because I could have worked fulltime night duty).
Try your local carers centre. The Princess Royal Trust for Carers has a grant scheme for this sort of thing.
Thanks Frank.
I'll give the Trust a go.
Marie
If it is under 21 hours pw /classed as part time and you are on full benifits it will be free for you. You have to apply for edu authority to pay for you the adult learning centre where the course are hed should have this information to hand as to where you apply.
Thanks for the info.
I don't know if you have given this any thought but if you study with the Open University and are in receipt of Carers Allowance this counts as a qualifying benefit and you don't pay for your course. They have a wide range of courses, all flexible. It might be something you want to check out.

Sylvia
Thanks Sylvia, I will check it out.

Marie
If it is under 21 hours pw /classed as part time and you are on full benifits it will be free for you. You have to apply for edu authority to pay for you the adult learning centre where the course are hed should have this information to hand as to where you apply.
Not sure this is correct Sparklingtechie. I guess if you're on FULL benefits it might be but if you're just on Carer's Allowance that's no good.