[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Where do you care?. - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Where do you care?.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
We overlook the North sea, heading towards Orkney Islands. Seaside town called Thurso. Lovely scenery and 21 miles from John O`Groats. Nearest big town ..........(sorry, city now) is 120 miles away in Inverness. I think we are blessed here with the best of both worlds.

Come on a virtual tour with google maps!!

Take care
Meg
I don't need to do the virtual tour - we have spent a couple of lovely family holidays staying in a modernised croft with all mod cons just down the road from you - and it is absolutely breathtaking. The scenery and wildlife are truly sensational, but the archaeology - both in Caithness and the Orkneys - is a real eye-opener too. Skara Brae http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/skarabrae/ blew me away.
I live 4 miles from the city centre of Cardiff and have everything very close at hand including the sea which I enjoy. When my Mum was able to get out I found that we were lucky to be able to find somewhere to go everyday which was great, due to living in a city. Now that Mum is bedbound and my time is limited for going out, again I find it great that everything is so near.

I have lived both in cities and rural and I must admit that I am a city girl at heart.
I assumed,where we reside has a great effect upon our care situation.The post code lottery in service provision and effective delivery is a factor,but so too our overall setting.
We live in the city. Which for us is really lucky. If we lived in a more rural area Mike wouldn't have any easy access to local amenities without his own transport and it would be harder to find staff to support him in the daytime.
We used to live at the top end of a cul-de-sac on the edge of a large N.Wales town, surrounded by houses. We virtually saw nobody. Now we live in the middle of the countryside (Muller country) and although neighbouring houses and farms are quite spread out, the local village (2 miles away, life is thriving and bustling. We have made more friends, visit more people and places and have more neighbours come to call in the 2 1/2 years we've lived here than in all the 14 years we lived in Wales.
This has had a dramatic effect on our lives, hubby is happier, because people actually stop and speak and call in, because they understand that we can't actually physically get into most of their (older) houses and the way of life is slower and more peaceful. If we do want bustle and hustle, then we can just go into town.
i live in the middle of a so called new town Livingston, its okay we feel rural as we can see the lammermuir hills from livingroom window, but much prefer it at our caravan which is sited on the outskirts of Stirling near the bannockburn monument in the heart of the country side.

myra
now,developing the discussion a bit more,I muse on the idea that,and i pose it as a question,ive no firm views,no certainty at all on this one,does where in the world we care,where we live,affect our view of our roles?.In essence,I just wonder if regional variations count at all?.What I mean is,Are whatever the view of CARING is in your neck of the woods affect,dicate,influence,govern,or counter your view or attitude to being a carer?.Doperceptions of caring differ accross the nation?.Its a thought.Just wondered.
Maxi, I'm not sure it's where we live that dictates so much our attitude towards caring but more our ethnic background and how we were brought up.

I come from an Italian background - and like a lot of southern europeans, Italians are used to the 'extended' family model. Caring for elderly parents is just accepted as the norm. Likewise with most Asian and Black cultures. My own Father, although unable to 'physcially' care for his or my Mother's parents, did support them financially until their deaths. Maiden Aunts on both sides of the family took over the physical side of caring and had the parents to live with them or lived with the parent who needed the care. In their time the only alternative was the 'workhouse' - there was no Social Care (as we now know it) provided by the government. So with my upbringing and role models it was a given that I would be the one to care for either (or both) of my parents if it became necessary.

I may not like it, but I accept that this is the way it is !
i agree susie back in the fifties when i was a small child all the family looked after each other
when we got ill or someone needed help to do other stuff like shopping and such then familys were a strong knit group we all had a part to play even down to the children we had disabled peopl in our family and everyone took turns to lookafter them and we have lost all that within a short space of time families are not as close as they once were and family values are right out the window
And your solution is, Douglas?