[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Where do you care?. - Carers UK Forum

Where do you care?.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
"its worse in winter"."Oh,Its just awfull in the city"."rural isolation affects us both". Ive heard fellow carers make such coments.I ask you,dear freinds,How does where you live impact on your care roll and how do you think it affects the wellbeing of those for whom you care?.Just are thought.I sence this may produce some interesting and very varied sharings from folks.Well.I hope so.Image
I live in the country. I have watched deer from my windows on at least three of the last seven days.
But I am just 30 minutes from the centre of the most exciting city in the UK, Glasgow
I can look up to the snowy hills, (yes, I mean today) and hit the best ski-resorts in under two hours.
I can hang out in the best urban clubs in either Edinburgh or Glasgow (and believe me, I do, frequently, and usually with my caree) and still be home in time for cocoa, often with change from a tenner.
Do I miss England? No!
We live in a rural area. Although lots of towns,only one cinema and that is 10 miles away and only evening films(and the bus doesn't run to the town after 6.30pm)We have thought about moving, a few times, because my husband would be able to do more with our son,(both have varying disabilities,) if we lived in an area with better public transport.Last year when we were in Cardiff for a few days, we used buses which were easy and frequent.Trouble is, I have always lived in the same county, and don't want to be uprooted.I moved away once, to London, and came home within a month as I hated city life.
My son loves wildlife, so going to the beach and the countryside is easier, living here.Within ten minutes walking from our house, we can watch rabbits playing, early in the morning.
It is swings and roundabouts, isn't it?There are pros and cons to wherever we live.
We live in a small town about 2 minutes away from Xscape at Braehead about 15 minutes from Paisley and 20 minutes from Glasgow - so pretty central for everything. Don't fancy living out in the countryside - to each their own Image

Eun
We live rural, but only about 10 minutes from a local town, alot of the houses are summer homes so we a never bothered by people, we have a lovely beach 500 meters away and very short winters, on the minus side it is very expensive here now, although we have our house on the market it is purely for financial reasons we are selling. Climate wise it is fantastic, July and August is the hottest, the rest of the time its really nice, and health wise, we all feel better when the sun shines, which luckily for us it does about 320 days of the year. If i had a choice then i would not move. Image
I'm in a small coastal & rural town - most of scotlands rural! LOL
Well, unless you're in one of the big cities!
I'm opposite the lovely Isle of Arran.
The view is stunning!
We're in an area still classified as Greater London although our address is in Surrey. Lots of amenities, lots of people but no feeling of 'community' that I imagine you get from living in a small country town or village. Although we know Mum's neighbours to say 'good morning' to, most of the time they all ignore each other !

Personally I'd move us to a small country/seaside town in a heartbeat, but Mum is used to the area and, although most of the time she gets confused about where she lives, it would be cruel to uproot her.
Small town that is sadly full of junkies when 20,000 commuters have left for work!

Actually it's no joke - the effect of the druggie population is that anybody on benefits of any kind is treated as a junkie scrounger in many aspects of life - which is part of the reason why we head out of town as often as possible!

On one occasion my daughter was denied pain killers because the locum at the out of hours service had obviously been warned that the place was full of junkies trying to con docs to give them meds they don't need -
do I look like a junkie? Nope - although I do look tired sometimes due to being a carer!!!!!! Image Image Image Image
(we had to wait two days for the surgery to be open so she could get painkillers!)

We have a beach - Ok in winter when there are no tourists clogging it up -great for long walks.
We overlook the North sea, heading towards Orkney Islands. Seaside town called Thurso. Lovely scenery and 21 miles from John O`Groats. Nearest big town ..........(sorry, city now) is 120 miles away in Inverness. I think we are blessed here with the best of both worlds.

Come on a virtual tour with google maps!!

Take care
Meg
On one occasion my daughter was denied pain killers because the locum at the out of hours service had obviously been warned that the place was full of junkies trying to con docs to give them meds they don't need -
do I look like a junkie? Nope - although I do look tired sometimes due to being a carer!!!!!! Image Image Image Image
(we had to wait two days for the surgery to be open so she could get painkillers!)
A 999 for the ambulance 'threat' to the locum just might have changed their mind. If not...

...start dialling.