Where do Carers get the strength to care from?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I sometimes wonder, how Carers have the strength, love, compassion and serenity to care and carry on and where it comes from, what do you think?
Hi Lola,

For me the answer is simple,I got my strength from my mam when she was here and even now her "teachings" stay with me.

Rosemary
x x
Lovely new board, been watching for a while but thought I'd wait until the 'big change'. Oh Lola! Serenity? What's that?
I promised Mum I'd always look after her when Dad died and I'm too stubborn to give in! Chocolate does help Image
Paula chocolate always helps.
Hello Lola

What a lovely thread!

I get my strength from many things, firstly, when my Mum gives me a warm smile and kiss at the end of a hard day for both of us, it just helps me forget what pressures have faced us that day and carry through to the next. Knowing that I should be grateful to be given the opportunity to be able to care and lastly all my friends here that know how hard caring can be and always there to offer help and support as they like no other understand me - thank you!

Oh Paula you do like your chocolate I'm sending you a bar of Lindt 100% creamy tomorrow!

Take care all
M x
Yummmmmmmy! Sometimes only chocolate will do, I also like chocolate scented products - when I'm feeling virtuous, maybe like giving up chocolate for Lent, (I'm not btw Image )

There are so many ways that I gain strength from, that I can't put it into words:

Having a close and special relationship, with the one I care for

Marvelling at my cared for's lack of complaint, and even thanking me for my help - this has inspired me not to complain either, because I want my loved one to feel wanted and loved, and to try and stay as cheerful and positive as possible.

Seeing that caring is a two-way thing, there are moments where our cared ones care for us! albeit briefly

Being more compassionate and patient towards everyone

Being more aware of people with special requirements

Having the strength to cope, as well as persistence and perseverance

Learning new things all the time about Caring

I don't know where my loved one gets the strength not to complain and remain cheerful despite her trials and tribulations. In fact she makes me laugh so much that I cry!

She is a truly special person who loves everyone, no matter what - and she never criticises anyone or looks down on anyone, she has not got a sarcastic word to say about anybody and that's why she is so loved by others...she is so kind hearted, loving, compassionate, selfless & down-to-earth and all this while she bears her crosses........
it makes me wonder really whether I am the one who is privileged to care for her, as she is truly a unique and special person, and I love her more each day, as she is my inspiration and I want to be more like her everyday........

So I would say the positive sides are having a close relationship with your cared for one and finding the work you do rewarding on so many levels

Plus the fact that you are constantly learning about caring all the time....

I look at the person as a whole and not what they suffer from as what a person suffers from is not who they are, it is a small part of who they are.....

Having the courage and strength to stand up and speak on my loved one's behalf.

Never giving up on my loved one - I always have hope

Being a Carer has taught me, what the most important things in life - what matters most of all is whether you have a genuinely kind heart, and are a good person, with the strength of character
Love is where the strength comes from Image
I met Ange in 2003, we chatted on the internet, I didnt know she was disabled, I wanted to meet her and she agreed to meet, she told me the day before that she had CP. I went to see her with the notion that I would give her a day to remember. As soon as I saw her I knew that this would not be the only time I saw her (Love at first sight?), Her words, Quote I will never forget, "I know that my body is broken but my mind is mine and I want to thank you for a lovely day!", As I drove home I sent her a text message to say that it was an honour to meet her and if she would give me the pleasure of letting me come the day after to see her again she would make my month... I have not looked back.

I now care for her full time due to seisures and falls, I find my strength in her, she has passion to live and gives me passion to care and make her life the best I can, makes me feel elated that we can do so much for each other.

Birdy
"Serenity Prayer"
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,
Courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

This gets me through most days when I can see no light at the end of a very long tunnel.