[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
D.I.Y as well as Care - Carers UK Forum

D.I.Y as well as Care

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Does anyone else D.I.Y as well as care for someone full time? Just wondering how you all fit it in or if you are able to get someone in to do it for you

And finally D.I.Y in my ‘spare’ time (Not so spare)

https://chuckbuttythejourney.wordpress. ... pare-time/
When I'm decorating got to have music to keep going. Makes me work faster lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQYJRw4R4-Q
Definitely decorate to music. I would recommend the Jungle Book. Once hang all the wallpaper on one wall of the lounge very quickly indeed. Just think of the song "I wannabee a man, man cub, a jungle VIP..." and imagine yourself putting on the glue....!
bowlingbun wrote:Definitely decorate to music. I would recommend the Jungle Book. Once hang all the wallpaper on one wall of the lounge very quickly indeed. Just think of the song "I wannabee a man, man cub, a jungle VIP..." and imagine yourself putting on the glue....!
Brilliant love it Bowlingbun, I love this one from jungle book too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ogQ0uge06o
I have started decorating the house. I am stuck at home with my disabled husband all day except when he goes to day care twice a week, so decided to update the house. It has been in a time warp since he decorated it when we moved in 10 years ago.
So far over the past few months I have paintd the kitchen and the hall and laid lino tiles on the kitchen floor. Mostly done in the evening after his carers get him settled for the night.
Now going to do the back room where my grandson sleeps when he comes to stay at the weekend. It still has a dark red wall at the back when it was our dining room before my husband had a stroke. Just been to b & q for some more paint testers and planning to start on it soon.
I have really enjoyed doing all this. I never thought I would manage it, not bad for a 71 year old.
Brilliant for a 71year old Irene and I'm not being agist!
Haven't found the courage yet to do much DIY on my own
Well done Irene. A friend recommended Dulux "Light and Space" to me for a room that doesn't get a lot of natural light. I used it in my bedroom and am very pleased with the result. Can't remember the name, but it's a very, very, very pale pink.
I think decorating is always emotional - in a way we are 'covering up' the past, which can be both a bit upsetting (however shabby it's got!), but also, as others are saying, very 'energising' too. I was fortunate enough to finally have my shower room updated (it had got REALLY grotty - the shower was no longer cleanable - you know, all that gungy black stuff in the folding doors and round the edges, and tiles all needed regrouting etc etc, and 'orrible bits' behind the basin, floor lifting, etc etc etc. So now I've got a lovely 'modern' shower room, done as cheaply as I could (the fitter was the most expensive - and I was shocked at how taps are more expensive than the basin!!!!) (but at the same time, lots of perfectly good stuff at the likes of B&Q and the online stores), which I delight in every time I look in. But part of me also knows that I've just 'wiped' the shower room that my husband and I had, and I have to remind myself that, had he lived, we'd still have updated the shower room now, and I'm reassured by that. (We might have argued more about the new fittings!!!

But, overall, I am so, so, so relieved it's finally 'done'! Hurrah!
For decorating (or even just non-noisy housework!), I tend to search Radio 4 online, and then do Listen Again on programmes that seem interesting. There's so much good stuff on Radio 4, but it never seems to be on at times I can listen to it live.

Also, loads of pod-casts and things like that on the Interest to listen to via the laptop.

I'd never bother to work to music - I need my data input when I'm doing manual work!!! :) (Music is for accompanying paperwork!)

That said, sometimes it's nice not to have any noise at all (music of words), and just 'mull things over' as I work.
Thanks Pet66, it's your house, just go for it. If it doesn't look professional, who cares! I ended up with colour on the white skirting then when I tried to cover it over with white gloss, I ended up with a bit of white on the colour!! I don't care, I did it, and am very pleased with myself.
When I put the stick-on lino tiles on the floor, I wasn't strong enough to shift the freezer or the fridge, so I just cut the tiles with scissors, not a stanley knife as they suggest and just tucked them underneath at the front. Everyone has said how nice it looks, as long as you don't look too closely.
I haven't painted for over 10 years and wasn't sure my back was up to it. It took me weeks, only doing about an hour at a time but there wasn't any reason to rush. I have really enjoyed buying new mint green tea and coffee containers, green kilner jars for my flour etc and new dish towels all to match my mint green wall. Nothing very expensive, some of it from Poundstretchers but looks lovely.
Give it a go, it is amazing what you can do. My home was quite masculine in colour scheme, Brian was very quite domineering in what would be bought for the house. The garden was the only place where I could choose what I wanted to buy as regards colour. I am really enjoying making my home more feminine and choosing things for it that I want, not him. I know makes him seem bad but he always held the purse strings and I was given a set amount of housekeeping to pay the bills, buy food and clothes for the kids. Now I have my name on his bank accounts, and have to monitor the spending etc, I have independance for the first time in 50 years of marriage. Needless to say he does not like this one little bit, but he can't even work a cash line machine any more so I have had to take charge of all the finances and am managing to make a good job of it. You never know what you can do until you try.