What is a Carer?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hello, My name is Hazel Fernandes. I believe that everything in your life happens for a reason, and that everything you have ever experienced leads you up to, and prepares you for, the point at which you are today. Before I became a Carer, I led a charmed life, graduating in English and Education and pursuing a Post-graduate Law degree. I worked as a PA for 2 Consultants in a hospital and for a Trade Union for Headteachers, until fate decreed that I become a full-time Carer.

A lot of unenlightened people have no concept of what day-to-day care involves, until sadly it happens to them. Here is a job description of being a Carer
read in full here
http://www.worldmedicaltimes.org/what-is-a-carer/
Sorry, I found all this saccharine sweet and gushy, far from the truth for many.

Only personal opinion but "chosen" to be a carer, "everything in life happens for a reason" and it's all leading up to the point one starts caring? If I believed in all that, then I would be an embittered woman I'm afraid.
Caring for my daughter wasn't sweetness and light, it was a hard, relentless slog 80% of the time. Of course I love her but she was aggressive and hateful towards me, nothing like the wonderful time the author had with her mother.

As for reason, I could ask why my daughter was disabled, my granddaughter in a wheelchair, my husband's heart attack, my cancer, my daughter's cancer, the death of her twin, my son..

Reason can go hang I'm afraid. Better to live life for the moment, to deal with each day as it comes whether it's good or bad, enjoy the good times and get through the bad.
I don't believe in a divine spirit and guardian angels but I believe in the power of the human spirit with all it's faults and foibles, that's what get's me through.

If I believed in reason, I would wonder what the hell I had done wrong to deserve what had happened to this family..so I don't. Better that way. :)

Edited to say I hope I don't come over as someone who thinks caring is always a thankless task. Of course it often isn't and there were times when I had fun with her, we had a laugh together and enjoyed an activity, like cooking or making something. It's just the "saintly" air of the author's writing, almost like caring is a vocation that grated on me.
Agree. Maybe a minority view it as a saintly blessing that enhances life. In reality it does NOT. Yes there are good times -sure- but when you are of working age and well educated(waste of time) and have to be on benefits -great. I had prepared for later life and saved. Now almost all gone. Wearing clothes with holes in because I have neither time, opportunity or money to buy these things. Charity shops don't cater for all sizes. The isolation and loneliness. Only being able to communicate by phone -not face to face. Even then calls are interjected by caree. Fun. Having back ache from mattress bought with a grant. No exercise but was very active. I could not write that article with sincerity . I would advise to think think think before caring because when it happens you have no time. Also I came for brief illness and never could return. If you are thinking of caring 24/7 don't go by that article.
A Carer is a Research Associate in the field of Humanity.

My work involves working relationships with the medical profession, governmental departments and with agencies involved with care in the home. I am researching aspects of nutrition, physiotherapy, manual handling, personal care, aid adaptations, cleanliness, home adaptations and business management within the home environment. The research demands a very ‘hands-on’ approach in all aspects – in the home environment and in the field – with many time-consuming meetings needing to be incorporated.
I recognise that and I know that Hazel didn't write it.
Myrtle wrote:
A Carer is a Research Associate in the field of Humanity.

My work involves working relationships with the medical profession, governmental departments and with agencies involved with care in the home. I am researching aspects of nutrition, physiotherapy, manual handling, personal care, aid adaptations, cleanliness, home adaptations and business management within the home environment. The research demands a very ‘hands-on’ approach in all aspects – in the home environment and in the field – with many time-consuming meetings needing to be incorporated.
I recognise that and I know that Hazel didn't write it.
Just that particular section Myrtle? :unsure: Then it makes me wonder about the validity of the rest of what has been written. The author is obviously a very religious woman which comes across strongly in her writing, I would agree with some parts of it but why do some people always assume that their experience defines how caring is for others?
I know, I seem like a grump but well, you know...it gets on my wick a bit.
I think the rest was written by the same person, but that's a totally different style, not really in keeping with the rest of the piece.
Everything happens for a reason. So why was my son diagnosed with a fatal muscle wasting condition then? Go on tell me I'd really like to know. What a load of bull's p.

Eun