[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
What happens when mobility is lost? - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

What happens when mobility is lost?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Sorry your wife broke her hip, hope her recovery is uneventful.

I'm glad you're getting aids/adaptations sorted. I would suggest (depending on your wife's recovery and her mobility) about getting neuro physio assessment or referral at least before she comes home. I mention neuro physio given your wife's ms diagnosis, but this may not be necessary (probably ms society would give better advice).

I only mention it as my mum (doesn't have ms) got community nhs physio, she was supposed to have neuro physio but the physio was on long term sick due to a high caseload. Mum got regular physio instead then they discharged her cos she made no improvement. Two years later mum can no longer walk, even though she could walk when she was discharged after her chemo.

I'm not saying the lack of neuro physio contributed to my mum's worsening mobility, but I can't exclude the possibility either. The 'what if' factor niggles me hence my mentioning it.
If your wife retains the ability to stand for short periods then ask the OT for a rotunda, this will enable her to transfer from bed to chair. If she has to be hoisted make sure you're provided with GP and toileting slings. If the 'underarm' toileting slings cause her discomfort then there are 'in arm' 1s available. MS has robbed my partner of his mobility over the course of the past couple of years so I know exactly how you're feeling. I had no idea where to turn until I called the MS Helpline 1 day when I was at breaking point. They listened and then pointed me in the right direction and if they didn't know right away they found out and rang me back. I wish you and your wife well now and in the future.