[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Welfare Refrorm: Mapping the Route Towards Full Employment - Carers UK Forum

Welfare Refrorm: Mapping the Route Towards Full Employment

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Speech by Stephen Timms with references to IB/ESA claimants:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/aboutus/2008/19-06-08.asp

[quote]19 June 2008
Rt Hon Stephen Timms MP

Minister of State for Employment and Welfare Reform

National Welfare to Work Reform Conference

Tuesday 19 June 2008

[Check against delivery]

National Welfare to Work Reform Conference: Mapping the Route Towards Full Employment

I am delighted to be here.

Last week, as a contrast to the gloomy news about the world economy, the monthly employment figures showed that the number of people in work in the UK had hit a new record – 29.55 million, the largest number ever. The number claiming unemployment benefit went up a little as well, but remained in the low 800,000s – the last time the number claiming unemployment benefit was that low was in 1975.

It is ten years since the New Deal was introduced – what can we say about the progress of welfare reform? The claimant count is quite a volatile number – a better yardstick is to look at the number claiming all the out of work benefits: incapacity benefits, lone parent benefit, Income Support as well as Jobseekers Allowance. That number has fallen by almost 20 per cent since 1997, from 5.5 million to 4.45 million, and it has been a sustained and consistent fall. This has been a very substantial achievement, delivering what we said we would, moving people from welfare to work. But it’s also clear that a great deal remains still to be done.

I visited Merthyr Tydfil a few weeks ago, where the Primary Care Trust has introduced a programme of recruiting people direct from Incapacity Benefit. I met a man in his early fifties who told me that he had been on Incapacity Benefit for 13 years, but that he then attended a two week preparation course for work as a healthcare assistant in the Trust.

He has now been in work for two and a half years. He hasn’t had a day off sick in that time. He is clearly doing a great job, working with patients, and enjoying it. His confidence has returned, his health problem is behind him, he is better off, and he kept on saying “I just wish this had happened to me years ago.â€Â
And what we want now is for more of those five and a half million people still out of work to get the chance – as he has had – to transform their lives for the better through work. And to make sure that people like the man I met don’t have to wait thirteen years for the opportunity.
Hilarious, how are they going to conjour up five and half million jobs?

Oh Image they are going to pay carers to look after the sick, disabled and elderly? rofl.
1933 - 1939 N.S.D.A.P. ( NAZI PARTY) REACH FULL EMPLOYMENT

ARBEIT MACH FREI = WORK MAKES YOU FREE

JEDEM DAS SEIN = TO EACH HIS OWN

5-6 MILLION UNEMPLOYED ?

GEORGE =
That approach... is designed to help establish what a person with physical or mental health impairment can do, rather than what they cannot. Looking further ahead, our aim is to transfer existing Incapacity Benefit claimants to Employment and Support Allowance in due course.
Hooray!
I think they are finally going to help carers to go and get a job, provide real incentives for folk on incapacity benefits to get a job, and employ an extra half-million or so people to make that dream come true by providing us with the support they need. Why pay a family £10,000+ a year in benefits when they could be supported back into work? Everyone benefits.

Is this such a bad thing I don't think so....
Nobody should be stuck at home 24/365 because they are a carer, or on long term sick... people need the chance to contribute to society in some way... but they need carrots, not sticks.
1933 - 1939 N.S.D.A.P. ( NAZI PARTY) REACH FULL EMPLOYMENT
ARBEIT MACH FREI = WORK MAKES YOU FREE
GEORGE =
Oh and George, maybe you havent read this?

Godwin's law
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is an adage formulated by Mike Godwin in 1990. The law states:
"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
Excalibur said:
Nobody should be stuck at home 24/365 because they are a carer, or on long term sick... people need the chance to contribute to society in some way...

Now how much was it CUK said carers contributed to the economy?????? £87 billion...
I`AM one of the lucky few i could take up full time employment now but why should i ask the state to pay a care worker £6 , £8 , £10 an hour to enable me and others to go back to work.

We have 750-000 carers in receipt of the carers allowance the state would have to employ an extra 750-000 care workers and at what cost 400 million pounds per week- but as ive said time after time what happens when iam at home having just completed a full 8 hour shift will i be able to relax for a few hours and then have the luxury of a good nights sleep for me return to work = 40 hours work - 128 hours working as an unpaid carer .

How can you work and care it cant be done oh i forgot as a working carer i wold be entittled to some respite care .

The old doll and myself have "downsized" 3 times in the last 8 years therefore if i was faced with the choice of back to work or lose the carers allowance i would lose the allowance but many carers will have to face the facts that if they cant survive financially they will have no option but to place their caree`s young/old in social care.
At a cost of £2-400 - £4-800 per month it does not sound like good economics to me .

Where are these jobs most carers will end up working as care workers looking after someone elses elderly / young disabled relatives .

The government know all to well that carers will stay as carers regardless of what the allowance is and rather than face the problems of returning to work and caring they know we will stay as carers the war is lost re carers allowance its doomed .

GEORGE====

DISTRACTION , DIVERSION Would you trust someone who defends a guilty person never trust an attorney or a journalist.
Work is good. It is good for people’s health and well-being, for their self-esteem and for the well-being and future prospects of their children. Work promotes choice and independence and builds cohesion. It is the best route out of poverty. But we know that, for some, we need to provide more support to enable them to enjoy the advantages of work.
Caring is work, and when the caring responsabilities reach the point where it is impossible for the carer to go out to work and care they should be protected from becoming impoverished.
Their savings and assets, their homes and pensions shouldn't be depleted by subsidising the paltry CA. Carers are giving up enough of their lives without being forced into the position of self-funding their caring role.

Cheryl said:
Carers are giving up enough of their lives without being forced into the position of self-funding their caring role.
Well said Cheryl
[quote]Cheryl said]

I soooo agree with you!

marie x