[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
we`ve all lost interest - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

we`ve all lost interest

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Excaliber wrote;-

Are you saying that being poor is virtuous and that money corrupts? Because doesn't that destroy our argument. Are we motivated by justice or envy? Otherwise, what you are saying exactly - well do you want more money or don't you?: If you want more you can hardly blame everyone else for feathering their own nests, surely, pots and kettles come to mind? /quote]

What i am saying is that caring for a loved one without money being the first consideration is something of a virtue in this day and age when money seems to come first with every way you turn. Of course i would jump at the £1000 a week offered to care for my daughter but i am 60 now and do it for nothing due to the pensions overlapping rule along with many other carers. How many politicians would work for that? not many i think (':wink:')
It has nothing to do with envy, money has never been a motivator for me and I suspect that's true of many of us, we wouldn't be willing to accept the poverty that is the consequence of caring for a family member if it was, we'd walk away and let the State pick up the bill.

It's about equity and justice, it's about having the right to participate in society. In order to do this we need both sufficient income and sufficient care provision for the people we care for. In the absence of income we can't pay for care, in the absence of care we can't lead lives with any degree of autonomy and in the absence of both sufficient income and sufficient care provision we can't fully participate in society, we are poor, isolated, often hidden and sometimes stigmatised.

I doubt if many, if any, of us want to be rich, we simply want a share in the wealth of society and in all that society has to offer which reflects our contribution and, because we do contribute to society, this is merely a request and a need for equity and justice.
I take someting from what you all say and agree, this is the best thread in moons on here, this should be publicised. Image