[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Voluntary Work. - Page 3 -Carers UK Forum

Voluntary Work.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I know we are veering off the op topic (sorry Maxi) but would like to comment of the missed appts issue.
It's a difficult one so I shall sit firmly on the fence. At my GP's surgery, especially with the practice nurse they have a chart showing how many missed appointments they have had..it really is terrible and takes up appts that others could have.
It also often causes waiting times to escalate, our surgery allows for ten mins past an appt time before they refuse to see a patient who is late. All those ten minutes add up to a lot and increase waiting times for others. I feel that the numbers who just can't be bothered to turn up far outweigh those who have genuine reasons for lateness or missing an appt.

However, I too have been the victim of extensive waits at hospitals etc and have actually walked out of an asthma clinic twice due to waiting more than an hour and a half past my appt time. They were totally shocked when I told them I was going and couldn't believe that a patient wasn't prepared to just sit there and wait..I was due to look after my grandchild on these occasions but it wouldn't have made any difference, I would still have walked out.

I think by the very nature of what they do there is always a higher chance of having to wait for longer at a hospital, I always try and set off a bit earlier so as not to be late and give them a chance to put me to the back of the queue. I appreciate this isn't always possible and it is just my personal choice.
I used to Voluntarily work for a small local Charity who relied on Volunteers to keep them going. The problem was that the management set "weekly/monthly financial targets" ,and I don't care who you are, but if people want to buy from a Charity Shop,they will, and if they dont, you can't make them !!! Also I was doing extra days, which were taken for granted and not appreciated.
So despite working with disabled adults whom I really liked, I made the decision to walk away as there was no enjoyment to the job anymore.

So if you do decide to do some Vol work, make sure it is on your terms, it's hard to say No, but you must put yourself first.

However, after a 3 year break, and 8+ years of 24/7 caring for my parents, I am now going to start for 1 morning a week with a local disability charity and am hoping things go better this time round.

I think there are + and - points to Volunteer work, just see how it works around your Caring before committing.
Good Luck Image
In terms of charity shops.As a former charity shop manager,and as a volunteer in one,at present.

A charity shop depends on volunteers they are its backbone,so they should be valued respected.

A charity shop is a business.We have targets.That comon to all.You cannot make people buy.

You can price goods realistically,have quality goods,no crap in a clean,well presented shop.Not a cluttered dump full of crap.

People will buy quality goods priced realistically.

But a charity shop has running costs like any other business.Yes,volunteers CHOOSE to work in these shops,and can walk away.But any volunteer in any setting will have rules proceedures etc to abide by.
There appears to be a tacit belief that charity work/volunteering is the panacea for all ills for the depressed and socially isolated. While working at a charity shop for what is probably this country's most well known charity a false accusation was made against me which managers clearly lacked the skills and experience to appropriately address.
I attended a meeting at the Area Manager's request to (as I was led to understand) confront my accuser. On arrival I was advised that this man had abruptly left the charity only a few days previously; I was blamed for this.
I was then accused of being aggressive, intimidating, and strange. Despite my request, no examples of misconduct were quoted, no evidence of complaints against me were produced, and the area manager refused to explain how I intimidated her; particularly as I had met her only three times in eighteen months and on two of those occasions she had ignored me. She then requested that I volunteer at another shop, while refusing to justify this request. This I refused to do.
Several letters to head office led not only to reiteration of the same unjustified accusations but also further accusations (including the statement that I would prevent the development of shops in the area!) made by a manager who had never met me and knew nothing of my personality and work ethic.
That this charity considers it acceptable for both volunteers and paid staff to behave and dress inappropriately, to engage in inappropriate conversation on the shop floor thus causing offence to customers, and to consume alcohol on the premises is a situation I fail to comprehend.
My previous experience of volunteering for the same charity in our capital city proved to be an equally abysmal experience and led me to contact 'Childline' due to my concerns regarding the condoning by management of inappropriate behaviour of a sexual nature.
While I am sure that many volunteer successfully and enjoy the social connotation, my experiences have resulted in a marked reluctance to endorse this kind of work; particularly for someone who is already emotionally fragile.
Charity work,of any sort,but CERTAINLY in a charity shop is NOT for everyone,by any means.For SOME in can be good,it wont suit all.
And...................