[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Affect on CareE when applying for Carers Allowance - Carers UK Forum

Affect on CareE when applying for Carers Allowance

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi
I'm not sure if this is the right section to ask this but I'm sure there's other people wondering the same...
I'm looking at applying for Carers Allowance NOT Premium.
But I'm unsure whether it will affect my Mother's benefits, she gets DLA (higher rate) plus a pension. I am also living with her.
I need to ask this as the decision process currently takes roughly 3 wks !
You really need to speak to a welfare rights advisor but normally the cared for person's benefit will only be effected if they are in receipt of the Severe Disability Premium paid with means-tested benefits such as Income Support or, in the case of a pensioner, Guaranteed Pension Credit in which case they will lose this premium if someone receives Carers Allowance for caring for them.
When I was awarded CA my OH had Pension credit guarantee. Financially we are no better off as his benefit was reduced by the CA I received, but my NI contributions were covered towards my pension by (then) home responsibilities protection. As my OH is 15 years older than I am protecting my pension was more important than who had what income going into the household coffers.

My late brother in law had his benefits cut when his son applied for CA..........needless to say it was not long before the feckless son who wanted to be his dad`s carer found out it was more than being in the same house on the playstation and the relationship broke down.........families!

Welfare rights advisor should be able to help you sort out the benefits maze.

Take care
Meg
You really need to speak to a welfare rights advisor but normally the cared for person's benefit will only be effected if they are in receipt of the Severe Disability Premium paid with means-tested benefits such as Income Support or, in the case of a pensioner, Guaranteed Pension Credit in which case they will lose this premium if someone receives Carers Allowance for caring for them.
But that shouldn't affect anyone who is living in the same house as another adult - only when living separately.

And as Parsifal says - speak to a welfare rights adviser
I am one of the "lucky " few i receieve the carers allowance , the old doll has reduced state pension as she has war widow`s pension and war disabled pension , we have no "top up pensions " to lose and thank god my own private pension is safe apart from income tax ...
Sorry, I wrote that badly and gave the wrong impression, I should have said can rather than will to make it clearer.
I was told that my Carers Allowance had no effect on hubby's benefits at all. And, so far, it hasn't. Just goes straight into my bank account without effecting anything.