[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Views On Social Workers And Their Involvement - Carers UK Forum

Views On Social Workers And Their Involvement

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
How do you view the involvement of Social Workers? Do you regard them as a positive or negative aspect of caring? Do you feel social workers intrude too much or that without them it would be far more difficult? I'd be interested to hear your opinions (speaking of someone with a fairly mixed view of them at the moment).
Most of them would be better off claiming JSA they are useless
We have lived under 3 social service areas and got through a lot of social workers having moved three times to get our daughter decent provision. I can honestly say that in all that time i have only found one or two that had our daughters best interest at heart. Their whole agenda is budget led . In the main i do not trust them at all.
I have come across one or two good social workers that have moved department and are new to the adult Learning disability teams but if they are any good they get very frustrated and find they cannot operate effectively within the budget restraint place upon them and very quickly move on.
We have found we have had to fight the social service to get what our daughter needs and have had to resort to taking our social services to court. We now have a working understanding with our social worker but i have found there first priority always is the social services purse not our daughter.
If a social worker suggests something always look for the hidden agenda there is almost always one usually to the social services benefit.
I don't involve SW in anything. We do everything ourselves. I have heard more negative points than positives.

Cheryl x
The only social worker I've had any dealings with was my friend's when he was in hospital and she was excellent, she asked him what he wanted and did her best to get everything the way he wanted it, so there are some good ones in the system Image
We've never had any dealings with a SW, long may that situation continue Image

Paula xx
My aunt was social worker now retired she hated the job she now works for SSAFA .

when STAN was alive we just ploded along but when he had his first mini stroke a couple of years after i gave up work we then had S.W. involvement they not once gave us correct info or any help at all in fact it was social workers that forced us in to selling our home so we could care for STAN in ground floor home we have never recovered from that decission.
one good example of S.W. STAN had a fall in bedroom i was at shop for just about an hour we had the care alarm service so old doll sent for them 2 young girls came first thing they said do you have a hoist NO so they dragged STAN back into bed however 3 days later STAN was back in hospital and i was questioned as to how STAN had bruises on his arms they had no idea how to talk to me they just said had i been a bit rough with STAN they would not let him home till we had hoist and other bits and pieces .
i do not trust social workers thats one of the reasons why i dont want local authority to take carers allowance and disabled benefits from us for them to spend as they see fit.

GEORGE
well said george xx
The only good sw I know is my bro-in-law, he was so appalled by the culture he resigned, all those qualifications, bachelors, masters, etc. and he's returned to his previous career as a musician, what a waste Image .
The only good sw I know is my bro-in-law, he was so appalled by the culture he resigned, all those qualifications, bachelors, masters, etc. and he's returned to his previous career as a musician, what a waste Image .
I don't know, at least this way he's bringing joy to people who love music.

Social workers have the ability to help or to hinder. Most of the people I know find them a hindrance, but then that's because I work for a carers centre and people come to us because things are going wrong - not because they're going right. My family's experience with social workers is that we have had two good ones and one very good one. Out of about 15.

Personally I have come across some very good social workers but they have been so restricted by management that they were unable to help in situations that they knew would get worse. I have fewer issues with social workers than with their management, who once they get into a management post forget about people - and concentrate on their budgets.