[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Georges' letter in paper - carers are ignored - Carers UK Forum

Georges' letter in paper - carers are ignored

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Carers are ignored

IAIN Duncan Smith, work and pensions secretary, will force the unemployed to "work" for their benefits.

A minimum of 30 hours’ manual work per week will be required or they will lose their jobseekers allowance. They call this a new initiative.

Could I remind the minister that we now have in place a benefit that is conditional on the claimant working a minimum of 35 hours per week and if not they receive no benefit at all.

What is this benefit?

It is the carers’ allowance set at £53 per week. This is the lowest benefit payable (lower than jobseekers allowance).

Could I also remind the minister that his own Centre for Social Justice, in its report, Broken Britain, more than two years ago, said the carers’ allowance was far too low at £50 per week and should be doubled, yet it and carers have been ignored by the minister in his benefit reform.
see here
go on george you tell them
Nice one George but I doubt they will take notice Image
Good one George.
Well said George, and good for you to keep trying Image
Well said George. I have copied this to my MP, he will be one of the guest speakers at a Local Carers UK meeting on Friday. He usually answers emails, sent to him, quite promptly.

I will let you know what he says (when he replys).
Nice one George Image
the edited version was in the Mirror this morning ...dont you think carers uk , or any carer group should be doing this for us .. surely they have some clout ....

CUK been in many papers today George plus most local BBC stations. On BBC Newcastle this morning, as was mentioned on another thread, was a rep there from a support group for male carers. He was talking about CUK too.
must start buying up market news- papers.....