[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Easy to open Patio doors - Carers UK Forum

Easy to open Patio doors

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Has anyone had a sliding patio door installed which is easy to open/lock my daughter is looking into having one but the handels/locks which are on the new doors these days are difficult if you only have the use of one hand. My daughter cannot push and hold up the handle whilst un-locking/locking it? Thanks Image
depending on the handle try extending it with a piece of pipe either steel or copper
to go over the actual handle there for making it easy to push up or down app 18 inches?
my wife has this problem with her hands that do not work to well so I am in the process
of trying all sorts with taps handles and the like to extend the handle makes it easy-er to open
if made longer that is all I can suggest as I do not know your situation .hope it helps yours Mlacolm
You can get ones where you push the lever up. Let go. Turn the key. Then open the door. Easily done one-handed. Then close it in reverse. Don't have to hold two things at once.
Thank you for your replies, - Audrey we allready have an OT on board Image - not much help to be honest, I put another post out about automatic doors but shock horror -- no one had ever requested one before -- well slap my wrists Image This request was because my daughter struggles to double lock the door and it is on the wrong side for her which is the right side (daughter can't use right hand) I gave two suggestions for this to OT the other was put handle locking system on the left another shock horror from her Image sorry gone off thread!!
Ferretrider, we have applied for a patio door to be put in as daughter can't access her back garden (steps and brick shed making it impossible to put in a ramp) I do know our local council are fitting new doors which elderly/disabled people are struggling with and they are fitting longer handels as you suggest, but it's also the locking of the door - maybe a good thick chain is the answer until carers go in and they can lock it.
Thank you for taking time to answer, this is definately a 'short fall' in adaptations by the look of it. Image
Had this problem when housing association changed all nans doors and windows, I put a chain on the back one, they replaced the chain on the front one, couldn't get any help to make it easier to lock the doors. Image
You can get ones where you push the lever up. Let go. Turn the key. Then open the door. Easily done one-handed. Then close it in reverse. Don't have to hold two things at once.
Thanks FranD I didn't see your post earlier, I will look into that and will mention it it OT Image
Audrey - yes the automatic doors are around, just no one has ever asked for one before, I suppose the cost will put them in a spin Image I haven't asked anyone to come out for a quote as hoping the L/A or S/S will fund it as we are funding the patio doors ouselves. More shock horrors (you know what I mean Image Image Image )
Lets not ask or expect too much from the OT's - the one we had couldn't add up Image Image
Just an up-date on the patio doors. We have had someone come out and the room is a bit too small for sliding patio doors so we are looking at a wider door handel on the left with a side panal which may or may not open. They are pricing up both for the quote. So fingers crossed we may have cracked it. Thanks everyone for all your advice. Image
Sounds good Image Hope you have cracked it Image
Just had a thought. One of our doors is a 3/4 door with a 1/4 opening side panel door next to it. So, you can either open both parts or just the door. Don't know if that helps or not.
Or what about those external folding doors, instead of sliding patio doors?

Not many professionals we have to deal with can cope with things which 'aren't the norm'. That's probably because they have to actually use their brains and 'think' about it and 'work it out'. :roll: