Found this in my weekly magazine on the health information pages and thought it relevant and useful.
The question asked was:
"My husband's illness means he'll be significantly disabled in future. What help can we expect ?"
The answer was:
This will depend on his support needs, your finances, and what's available locally, so apply to your local authority who will allocate him a social worker. But the rules can be very complex, so Disability Rights UK have produced a new guide aimed mainly at people of working age. It explains the Care Act 2014, council's responsibilities, how to get an assessment and what it should include, person-centred care, support planning, personal budgets and direct payments. It also covers charges and financial assessments, and what to do if you disagree with what you're expected to pay, or want to move to a new area. Importantly it also covers how vulnerable people should be safeguarded. You can download a copy of "Guide to the Care Act: What you need to know about Social Care in England" plus other useful publications at Your GP can also help you both and, as many carers find it difficult to look after their own needs, you should also contact Carers UK for advice and their guide Looking after Someone