[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
what is a breakaway carers grant please??? - Carers UK Forum

what is a breakaway carers grant please???

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
hi
on another website (bounty). theres a forum for mums with children who have special needs. according to the mums on there, the local council can give carers a grant of £250 per year to help with recreational things. 1 woman thinks its called a breakaway grant... but shes not sure.

so i rang my council and they know nothing about it, the woman on the phone only seemed to know the word erm erm erm.

so once again im turning to yourselves. thank ou for all the help

chrissie
Hi Chrissie

It;s not something I have heard of, but the problem with any sort of council based grant, is that there are over 600 councils and all of them have differrent schemes and rules. So I suspect this is probably something her local council do, but doesn;t mean others will.

But I could be wrong! Maybe others know more?

Matt
Chrissie, ask your local CAB, if they don't know they should know somebody who does.

It sounds to me like the Carers Break Grant that Lambeth borough council ran for a few years - it hasn't for the last few years though (lack of funding). The extra money allocated by central government for respite and extra breaks for carers wasn't ringfenced. AFAIK councils and PCTs spent some of it (at least) on other things.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, the Carers Breaks Grant. You had to write off to the (borough run) local carers group for a form, fill it in, send it back and then, if you were one of a very lucky few, you got up to £200.

Tell you what though, it had so many exclusions and asked for so much personal information that if felt even more degrading than my first visit to a DHSS office in the early 1990s. Image

Still, if you don't ask you don't get.
Hi Chrissie,

This link applies to the Leicester area but there is a contact no on there.May be worth ringing to find out exactly what it is and then go back to your own council.

Breakaway grant

If you have any problems let me know as I have contact with admin on there.

I think Catja is right by saying it sounds very much like the Carers Break grant though.