Update on Dad - and next Xmas

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
136 posts
Stephen_16071 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:48 pm
Hi Paul,

It's impossible for any GP to CATEGORICALLY say Dad isn't suffering from Dementia without any evidence.

Any GP worth there money would at least ask for an MRI scan to confirm.
They tell me they have spoken to him, discussed amongst themselves and, in their clinical opinion, there is no medical evidence to suggest dementia, and, as such, they are unwilling to send him for an MRI.
Paul,

Frustrating as this might be, even an MRI scan is not conclusive - that will show evidence of vascular dementia, not necessarily Alzheimers. To be honest, whatever the diagnosis / label you put on it, dad's behaviour does not sound as if it will change. All you can do is what you are doing, putting firm barriers up, consistency as you would with a toddler.

Good luck, he sounds a challenge!
Anne
Anne001 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:20 am
Paul,

Frustrating as this might be, even an MRI scan is not conclusive - that will show evidence of vascular dementia, not necessarily Alzheimers. To be honest, whatever the diagnosis / label you put on it, dad's behaviour does not sound as if it will change. All you can do is what you are doing, putting firm barriers up, consistency as you would with a toddler.

Good luck, he sounds a challenge!
Anne
Thanks Anne - yep you could say that! Challenge is not the word lately. Its a constant battle...
Last night I lost it with him....

Off to glastonbury today with wife and 6 year old. Teenager decided he didnt want to come so is staying home with gran. His idea of heaven - unlimited PC gaming.

So Dad, has decided that,
1. I shouldn't be going to places like Glastonbury because people take drugs there.
2. Its "not right" that I've left my teenage son at home.
3. I'm a bad parent because of the above.

This is from the guy who two weeks or so ago, advised my brother to not take on care for his own daughter because "you've got work and too busy to do that".

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????

(For the record, I don't take drugs. Only Cider. OK Imodium maybe but, to be fair, you should see the toilets!)
Hi Paul,
Have a great time, you deserve it. You are a GREAT dad.
Leaving grandson with gran sounds like an excellent idea. What better place to leave a "fledgling teenager".
Hopefully gran will get him to do a few odd jobs for her while he's there?? (The other part of growing up!)
bowlingbun wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:34 am
Hi Paul,
Have a great time, you deserve it. You are a GREAT dad.
Leaving grandson with gran sounds like an excellent idea. What better place to leave a "fledgling teenager".
Hopefully gran will get him to do a few odd jobs for her while he's there?? (The other part of growing up!)
Well hes almost 16 anyway. He used to come to Glastonbury when he was younger (its free if you're under 12).
Nowadays he has ZERO interest in music festivals. He gets bad hayfever too so it'd be torture for him camping in a field.

Like I said, its heaven for him. Help his gran out then stay up late playing computer games and stay in bed till midday lol.

I get the generational thing with Dad. In his day, kids went out with friends - these days they talk on the computer and play games. As I'm sure I've said before, son is on the ASD spectrum and has aspergers (not too bad though) but hes never going to want to go out with tons of people. Trouble is, and Dad has said this to me, Dad says "theres no such thing as autism - never had it in my day. Kids just need a clip around the ear". Nice eh?

He knows my feelings but still came out with this rubbish. He can believe what he wants but to say to me "its not right" - at the moment I just can't speak to him (again!).

(BTW - my standard answer to people who say autism didn't exist years ago is to say the planet Pluto wasn't discovered until 1930 but I'm pretty sure it was there the whole time).
Thanks Paul, that's a very useful phrase!
Enjoy your break.
I had to smile Paul, your Dad is still worrying about you even if it he has a strange way of showing his parental responsibilities!

It reminded me of Dad watching me in whirlwind mode with no sleep chasing my tail and telling me that I need to sit down more or I will make myself tired.

Have a fab break - I love the fact you are off to the festival and teenager staying at home - images of Ab Fab spring to mind LOL
Paul, you do realise that Pluto was discovered in 1930, BUT it's NOT a Planet? It's actually a dwarf planet?

Which kind of makes your argument redundant..
Do you mind me asking how old you are Paul, what kind of ticket you have for Glastonbury and whether its suitable for a six year old?
What headline acts are you going to watch and more importantly how are you going to look after your Daughter.

I'm sorry I'm always negative, but anyone who has been to Glastonbury will tell you, it's not a place for a six year old.
136 posts