[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Unwell sibling.....help - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Unwell sibling.....help

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi Melly1

Just an update.
My brother is improving. He had a pacemaker fitted. He is a little tired and weak but I am not surprised with all that has happened to him. I am so proud of him considering it has been scary (new environment, different people etc). He is eating, well the consistency is like baby food but you have to start somewhere.

He still barely whispers. So I will contact the speech and language therapist and enquire at which point they may have to investigate his throat. I guess everyone is different when it comes their voice recovery but it would be nice to know the rough timescale.

They have supplied in his ward laminated visual aids ( which I have seen) which is great news.

Erolly
Hi Enrolly

Welcome to our forum.

I know you've been a member for a while, so you might already know about our weekly care for a cuppa meetups. We hold them every Monday afternoon at 3pm for an hour. If you haven't been to one before you might want to come along and join us. Here's the link. Many of our members have said how useful they found them and its a nice way to take a bit of time out for yourself and chat to other carers.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... ne-meetups

please click on the link and book to come along if you would like to, there's no pressure to share information etc.

take care
Ingrid
Hi Erolly,

that is such good news. He has done so well to cope with everything. The fact he is eating well is a good sign. The speech therapist will be able to advise on his eating and swallowing too. Is he able to drink ordinary drinks or are the ward staff thickening his drinks at the moment? That's great that the ward have laminated visual aids to use with him. Is there a time frame for him coming home?

Melly1

PS You might find this link useful https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... f-hospital
Hi Melly1

The nurses are thickening his drink at the moment. However he did have the odd biscuit the other day.
That is an improvement and now he is been transferred to a hospital nearer home. The clinical team are happy with his progress most importantly his heart.
Now the next step is nutrition, walking, talking and adjusting.

Erolly
Hi Ingrid,

Thanks for the invite. Just booked. Still navigating my way on the forum. This appears the only way I could reply.

Erolly

Ingrid Carers UK wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:49 pm
Hi Enrolly

Welcome to our forum.

I know you've been a member for a while, so you might already know about our weekly care for a cuppa meetups. We hold them every Monday afternoon at 3pm for an hour. If you haven't been to one before you might want to come along and join us. Here's the link. Many of our members have said how useful they found them and its a nice way to take a bit of time out for yourself and chat to other carers.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... ne-meetups

please click on the link and book to come along if you would like to, there's no pressure to share information etc.

take care
Ingrid
Hi Melly1 and everyone else,

Well my brother contacted covid early this month and he is asymptomatic. The fact that he had been there for some time did not make it easier for me. He was admitted without covid. I kind of lost it and sent an email (in 2 parts after talking to my sister) to PALS.

I am isolating and so is he until the 14th Dec (personaly I think it is longer)
but he is BACK HOME, no transfer to another hospital. He is smiling and laughing and walking ( a bit of a waddle). Personally I am glad he is alive. He wants to do everything but he has to pace himself and take time.

I actually prefer to stay indoors for the remainder of the year and have no reason to go out unless it is an emergency. Which is what we have been doing since March.

I hope everyone can get the help they need and have a far better new year.
Carers UK and the forum have neen invaluable.

Erolly
So pleased to hear he is back home again, and smiling.
Oh Erolly,

that is wonderful news that your brother is home and smiling and laughing.

I'm sure his walking will improve over time.

Not good re the Covid, but glad he isn't feeling poorly with it.

Melly1