[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Trouble at work - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Trouble at work

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Your Welcome.

We look forward to a home win.
There is no way you can "register as being a carer". If caring for someone else affects your life, then you ARE a carer. It's nothing to do with benefits or anything else.
The issue is mental health.
It would be 2 days off after the 9 then back at work For a 5 day week. This would be 1 9 day stretch a month the rest being my normal 5 days. Hope that makes sense

Hmm, that sounds like you are losing a weekend every month? That can't be right! As in, if you are working more days per month than you are now, that is a significant change to your contract terms. Are they paying you more money? If not, that's even WORSE.

Sadly, mental illness is a VERY tricky subject. Is your wife in treatment? I hope so. Do take a look at some of the many, many threads under the Mental Health section here - hopefully it may give you some clues about "Do's and Dont's" when it comes to mental illness. Most important of all is ensuring your care is SUPPORTIVE (Designed to Get Them Better) (however slowly), not dangerously ENABLING (which simply 'keeps them where they are'). Sadly, Firm Love is usually necessary to achieve supportive care.
jenny lucas wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:18 am
The issue is mental health.
It would be 2 days off after the 9 then back at work For a 5 day week. This would be 1 9 day stretch a month the rest being my normal 5 days. Hope that makes sense

Hmm, that sounds like you are losing a weekend every month? That can't be right! As in, if you are working more days per month than you are now, that is a significant change to your contract terms. Are they paying you more money? If not, that's even WORSE.

Sadly, mental illness is a VERY tricky subject. Is your wife in treatment? I hope so. Do take a look at some of the many, many threads under the Mental Health section here - hopefully it may give you some clues about "Do's and Dont's" when it comes to mental illness. Most important of all is ensuring your care is SUPPORTIVE (Designed to Get Them Better) (however slowly), not dangerously ENABLING (which simply 'keeps them where they are'). Sadly, Firm Love is usually necessary to achieve supportive care.
I currently work every weekend with the same 2 days off mid week, this works out well as her therapy falls on my day off and we have support over the weekends and also still allows her the independence she needs on other days. I am being made to take 1 weekend off a month but to allow for this it means me doing a nine day stretch. I am currently using my holidays to split the 9 days but they are soon to run out.
Talk to ACAS. What they are doing could amount to "constructive dismissal", making life so difficult they are making it impossible for you to continue. You are "disabled by association" and they have a legal duty to make "reasonable adjustments" in the same way as if you were disabled yourself.
Hi sorry to hear about this issue you’re facing. Please check out the ACAS website especially re your legal right to request flexible working. The whole idea is to enable people to continue working while juggling other aspects of life like caring. They can only turn you down on specific grounds and they have to justify their refusal. If it’s agreed then it formally changes the t&cs of your employment contract. If not in a union then I recommend you join as at the very least you will have access to a legal helpline and someone to talk to for help and support. Good luck xx