Tripped and hit head

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Called in to see Mum today and was horrified to find her head was plastered with dried blood and a large purple bruise forming on one temple. :shock: She'd tripped shuffling around last night and hit her head against the sharp bit of the door latch.

Me: why didn't you call me? Mum: well, it was dark.

I cleaned up the bits she'd missed on her nose and forehead, and on the door itself, but she refused to let me wash her hair in case it started bleeding again. We then had an argument about why she really needed so many obstacles - wobbly-legged table holding nothing but junk mail, TWO pedal bins in the 5-ft by 5-ft kitchen - and I discreetly removed same so now she has a clear run, but I honestly think she just trips over her own slippered feet. The deep pile of the carpet doesn't help.

She has an alarm pull in each room but she is very wary of being swept off to hospital (unspoken 'and not let out again') though she might use it in extremis.

Anyone have any experience with head wounds? As far as I could tell it didn't seem to need stitches, but I'll know more tomorrow assuming I'm allowed to wash it then.
They bleed a lot! In biology class at school we did an experiment to see how heart rate increases with exercise, getting on and off stool, only I fell and hit my head on a bench. It bled hugely, so I was taken to the medical room, and then the deputy head took me home for the rest of the day, and to explain to mum what had happened. I think they bleed more than other parts of the body because the skin on the scalp is very thin. Would your mum wear slip on shoes rather than slippers? Personally, I can't abide slippers so much that I don't even own a pair. I prefer wear soft soled shoes or sandals indoors.
Hi!
My Dad has poor vision and insists on wearing his 'comfy' slippers! I have recently bought him a new better fitting pair. He seems to trip quite easily and has bumped his head many times over the last year. Twice he has ended up in A&E because of a lot of bleeding. They always check him out, carry out an X Ray and send him home with a GP follow up request which my Dad refuses to attend! I have recently got in touch with the Occupational Therapist Dept at my Social Services and they have made one visit to see him. The OT was very kind and good with Dad and she has ordered equipment to help him and I requested a visual impairment assessment as well. He is moving to his own place in sheltered accomodation very soon and they will see him again once he's moved in to assess any support he might need in there.
I would recommend you try to get an OT for your parent. I was surprised at how helpful they are. Whether your Mum will take up this help and use the equipment is another thing of course but at least you will feel you have done all you can to help prevent further falls!
I hope this helps!
Why are they so stubborn? Before my mum moved in with me she woke with a blinding, searing head pain in the middle of the night. She didn't do anything until the house manager came on duty at 9.00 even though his room was next to hers and wouldn't pull the cord for help in case they called an ambulance a child might need! Words failed me then as now! She spent a day in hospital on a drip and only told me because the house manager was going to sand she Had forbidden him from ringing to let us know during the time she was in A and E.
Tracy
I don't know why they can be stubborn sometimes maybe it's a last hold on to independence !
It's not sensible though but they are adults and what can we do but worry for their safety! My Dad goes from being very needy to being quite chipper and independent despite his sight issues! Sometimes I think he's just a bit down or bored or maybe he feels he has to 'show' his issues in a needy way! I don't know but the worry over an elderly parents can be intense.
I know I will hate it if/when I lose my independence. I don't take help well so I am trying to remember all the things that bug me now to avoid the same things annoying my kids but I'll probably fail miserably. I need to remember the loss of independence more often when things get tough here.
Tracy
I was disabled for about 5 years, after a car accident. Really frustrating. It was only after I had my two knee replacements that I realised how much easier it was to laugh and joke when I was well. Trying to be in a good mood when you are tired through lack of sleep, as well as in permanent pain, is very difficult indeed.
bowlingbun wrote:They bleed a lot!
I can confirm that from personal experience :shock: During the period before I was caring for my Mum 24/7 I frequently got telephone calls in the middle of the night - one such was from the Police who had broken down her front door after a report from a neighbour who thought Mum was being attacked (she was having a nightmare !).

When the Police (and ambulance crew, plus Police dog handler and locksmith to repair door) finally all left I ended up staying the night; after putting Mum to bed I stumbled, in the dark, across her room and walked smack, bang into the door frame cutting open my brow ! Did it bleed ? I should say so, took me ages to stop it :shock: No way I could go to A&E as no-one to stay with Mum, so did the best I could with handfuls of tissues and sticking plaster :shock: I call the resulting scar my "badge of honour" :lol: :lol: :lol:

And then there was the time I got a call from Mum to say she'd had a "trip" - arrived to find her sitting on the floor with an enormous (and I mean enormous) lump on her forehead and the beginnings of two black eyes - she'd tripped over her own feet and hit her head on the sitting room door frame. Got her to A&E where they checked her over and said apart from the bruising she was OK - one useful thing I did find out was that blows to the front of the head or brow are not usually serious, it's blows to the back of the head that cause the most damage.
Thankyou everyone for your replies. It feels so much better knowing that others have had experience of parents/selves tripping and falling but managed to cope, and even find humour in their situation. It's so easy to agonise about things in isolation.

Catherine, OTs helped my son coming out of hospital so that may well be something to get for mum.

Very reassuring, susieq, about blows to the front of the head. Mum won't let me touch her head but each day she gently washes it with a flannel. The bruises are purpling nicely though. :lol:
[/quote]
one useful thing I did find out was that blows to the front of the head or brow are not usually serious, it's blows to the back of the head that cause the most damage.[/quote]

Thank you for this. I haven't had to deal with falls yet but this is very helpful.
Tracy