[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
They Can find Space in Prison - Page 4 - Carers UK Forum

They Can find Space in Prison

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Nobody's mentioned our beloved MPs who appear to 'cheat' big time with their expenses. Not a few pounds, but thousands and thousands AND GET AWAY WITH IT. It's taxpayers money same as Benefits. One law for the rich and another for the poor and struggling.
John, that was a harsh sentence on your friend, I hope he wins his appeal.
When the playing field is even, THEN people can cast judgement.
Prisons are overcrowded and real criminals are left tagged and walking the streets and they put a decent man who is a carer inside!! Disgusting! Everyone makes mistakes in life and he hasnt murdered someone has he? Imagine the state of his mind knowing his poor wife hasnt him to care for her.

I was burgled 2 years ago, it was a young Mum who sneaked in whilst my hubby was at the dustbin at 6am in the morning before he went to work, he locked her in with myself and my daughter asleep upstairs, lukcily I had left a window key on the sill and she escaped that way with lots of stuff, she was 25 and a heroin addict, she got 3 years in prison and her kids were taken off her, I feel so sorry for her she was desperate she didnt hurt us and yet she was punished to the hilt, she needed help not prison!
It could be a good story for the nationals...they may help him even.
Are you kidding??

All the papers would villify him with exception of The Guardian, Independent and the Morning Star.

I've had more time to consider what sentence should have been passed but instead of a custodial sentence perhaps give him 6 months to gain employment so that he can pay back the money he's taken. If he doesnt get a job within that period he goes to prison for 6 months.
A few years ago, I was caught speeding. I was fined and had points on my licence. I had to speed, because my husbands blood sugar had gone low,we realised that our DS son had sneakily eaten the emergency glucose supplies we kept in the car, and I needed to find a shop quickly. I was doing 33 miles an hour, in a 30 MPH area.

My sister told me to appeal, but I have always said that if a person is caught speeding they deserve to be punished, so could hardly change my beliefs just for me.

What if the CPS had decided to proescute in court, and someone had decided to make an example of me? I had broken the law, no two ways about it, but everyone would have lost out if I ended up in prison, and I would have been devastated, and it would not have taught me anything.

We don't live in a black and white world, where things are either all good or all bad.My father taught me that, and he has been round the world many times, in the Merchant Navy, and met many people . He also has a relative who was in priison for his religious beliefs. that was in this country, and the relative was a Quaker.
A few years ago, I was caught speeding. I was fined and had points on my licence. I had to speed, because my husbands blood sugar had gone low,we realised that our DS son had sneakily eaten the emergency glucose supplies we kept in the car, and I needed to find a shop quickly. I was doing 33 miles an hour, in a 30 MPH area.

My sister told me to appeal, but I have always said that if a person is caught speeding they deserve to be punished, so could hardly change my beliefs just for me.

What if the CPS had decided to proescute in court, and someone had decided to make an example of me? I had broken the law, no two ways about it, but everyone would have lost out if I ended up in prison, and I would have been devastated, and it would not have taught me anything.

We don't live in a black and white world, where things are either all good or all bad.My father taught me that, and he has been round the world many times, in the Merchant Navy, and met many people . He also has a relative who was in priison for his religious beliefs. that was in this country, and the relative was a Quaker.
I think the court would have allowed your appeal but to be honest, speeding is hardly a crime that people need to be made an example of. We've all done it and it's socialally acceptable compared to benefit fraud.
Speeding is NOT socially acceptable, and yes we have all done it! I think one should have one's licence taken away if we are caught way over the limit.
It could be a good story for the nationals...they may help him even.
Are you kidding??

All the papers would villify him with exception of The Guardian, Independent and the Morning Star.

I've had more time to consider what sentence should have been passed but instead of a custodial sentence perhaps give him 6 months to gain employment so that he can pay back the money he's taken. If he doesnt get a job within that period he goes to prison for 6 months.
Hi Alex

If you had read my last posting you would see he had been paying back the money over the last year prior to going to prison.
Also this man as worked since the age of 15 and now nearly 60 who's going to look after his wife he only gave up work after over 40 years of working to care for his wife.
So your 6 month's idea doesn't work.
And as for your thoughts on speeding not being in the same league as cheating on benefits well speeding can kill and does but the only killing cheating on benefit's could cause are the people that cheat are so full of shame and some commit suicide.
So speeding is a very serious crime as it as proven and killed ie unintential but still killed.
Please have some compassion.
PS I did asked your opinion on my post before this one about stealing.
John
Speeding is NOT socially acceptable, and yes we have all done it! I think one should have one's licence taken away if we are caught way over the limit.
If it isn't socially acceptable then the majority of people wouldnt do it.
Hi Alex

If you had read my last posting you would see he had been paying back the c money over the last year prior to going to prison.
Also this man as worked since the age of 15 and now nearly 60 who's going to look after his wife he only gave up work after over 40 years of working to care for his wife.
So your 6 month's idea doesn't work.
And as for your thoughts on speeding not being in the same league as cheating on benefits well speeding can kill and does but the only killing cheating on benefit's could cause are the people that cheat are so full of shame and some commit suicide.
So speeding is a very serious crime as it as proven and killed ie unintential but still killed.
Please have some compassion.
PS I did asked your opinion on my post before this one about stealing.
John
Hi John,

Sorry I missed the bit were you said he has been paying it back.

Regarding speeding, the reason is why I said it wasn't in the same league as benefi cheating is because a lot of drivers regularily break the speed limit. In the law, they are the same they are a serious crime but in society someone caught speeding would generally get more sympathy than someone convicted of benefit fraud.

Now a crime is a crime can any of us say we have never taken anything that doesn't belong to us ie Pen's Note paper eaten a grape in a supermarket taken soap from an hotel or even any other things that are not ours including knocking off early from work taking extra time for your lunch break saying you had a dentist appointment when you didnt .
Well it is all stealing a criminal act in theory you could get prosecuted whether it's a penny or a £1,000 pound it's stealing and if a judge wanted to make an example as the judge did with my friend he would be with in his or her right to do so.
Now think hard could you say with hand on heart you haven't ever done any of these thing's it's a question to all of you not just one person.
If you have done any of these thing's in the eyes of the law you are a criminal so let's hope that a judge doesn't make a example of you if you are ever found out.
We have someone on here training in law I to have trained in law in some way and stealing is stealing whether intentional or unintentional i am sure our young law student will confirm this.

John
clocking off from work earlier are more likely matters under contract law and it wouldnt come under criminal law.

There are so many factors that can affect the way a person is percieved. for example.
Alex 20 year old heroin addict steals £500 from an OAP whilst she is at Bingo.
John 20 year old unemployed man as the factory he works at has outsourced labour to Thailand steals £500 from his ex boss whilst he is at a board meeting.
(Both dont have criminal records)

Both crimes are exactly the same but chances are one would be dealt with more severely than the other.

Have I ever stolen? Yes, I have when I was a youngster, I never got caught but my friends did, they got a royal rollocking from the head teacher and after that stealing lost it's charm.

To answer your question, stealing is wrong but there are lots of different factors that will affect the defendants sentence.
I was burgled 2 years ago, it was a young Mum who sneaked in whilst my hubby was at the dustbin at 6am in the morning before he went to work, he locked her in with myself and my daughter asleep upstairs, lukcily I had left a window key on the sill and she escaped that way with lots of stuff, she was 25 and a heroin addict, she got 3 years in prison and her kids were taken off her, I feel so sorry for her she was desperate she didnt hurt us and yet she was punished to the hilt, she needed help not prison!
Did you go to court when she was on trial and give your opinion on what punishment should be given as a victim of the crime you probably could have given your view to the judge, he or she wouldnt necessarily agree with you but i bet the courts are interested to know what the victims think the punishment should be.
Benefit cheats defraud the system but don't kill anyone, speeding motorists do frequently kill people, therefore speeding is unacceptable.
Benefit cheats defraud the system but don't kill anyone, speeding motorists do frequently kill people, therefore speeding is unacceptable.
So why is speeding so common? Drink driving IS socially unacceptable and very few people do it.