[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
They Can find Space in Prison - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

They Can find Space in Prison

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Interesting debate.

My own opinion is that anyone who is incarcerated should serve out their full sentence. Whether imprisonment is the right way in a case of benefit fraud is a problem because it guarantees that when the person leaves prison they will end up back on benefits and stay there - nobody would employ them...if only for fear that they were doing it again.

Seems counterproductive to me.
[I too dont believe in doing anything wrong deliberatly. In fact I'm a fool to myself at times. Too honest for my own good. We only know what John has told us, and I for one trust his judgement completely. I just feel that this is far too harsh a sentence for a first time offence.
Believe me, I'm no pushover.

Pete Image[/quote]

I quite agree
Bluebird
Exalibur are you advocating paedophilia? Image
Certainly not! But I do think we should consider redefining the age of consent. It was 1885 when Christian campaigner Josephine Butler and journalist W T Stead finally succeeded in their campaign to raise the age of consent from 12 to 16. There have been all kinds of changes since then, but many minors (then and now) engage in sexual activity illicitly. This endangers children by increasing the risk of unwanted pregnancy and untreated venereal disease. Most GPs will give underage children contraception quite freely for this very reason. We are criminalising normal behaviours between consenting people. Most underage sexual activity is enjoyable, consensual and rather less hazardous than say, smoking, drinking, or riding bicycles. What right has the law to interfere?

Home Office research shows that over a third of those who sexually offend against children are under the age of 18. The Utting Report found that half of all child abuse against children in care was committed by children.

In Canada, those who are 14 or older can legally have **** with adults unless their partner is in a position of authority over them.

Many people in the UK think that 14 would be a better age of consent, but it's still very controversial with the conservative and religious right.
Any adult knowingly having a relationship with an underage child should be incarcerated for a very long time, imo!
I disagree. it all depends on circumstances. Where there is consent, who would wish to tear apart two lovers - say a 19 year old girl and a 15 year old boy - by jailing the girl? In practice, most juries and judges already are refusing to do this.
I think the age of consent should stay at sixteen and a court should decide if the relationship is abusive.
Hi

We manage to make contact with our friend's wife she is remarkably calm.
She said she was going to phoned us but didnt know what our reaction would be but once my wife had reassured her she was very pleased to speak to Pat.
She was told so was her husband that they thought he would get community service but the judge said he was going to make an example so he was the unlucky one we were also told that they had been paying back the money for over a year and it wasn't as much as reported in there local papers but what ever the amount it is not the point the deed was done and the law is the law i have no argument with that only the sentence i think was wrong.
Our friends wife as support of her friend's and the one's who live near are helping some live about an hour from her are helping her to we unfortunately live 130 miles from them they used to live near us but 4 years ago moved to where they are now.
There is an appeal going on and we were told we might know something next week.
He was moved this week to an open prison so that will be a lot better for him.
But just to make this clear this man is nearly 60 as always worked from the age of 15 never been in trouble and is a very caring person and paid tax's for near on 45 years.
So not all bad is he.
John
John you`re loyalty to you`re friend is to be applauded, it is a trate that is sadly missing these days, I am very pleased to hear that his wife is getting support, hope he gets a decent result with the appeal, we all agree wrong is wrong, but so is sending a decent fulltime carer to prison
John you`re loyalty to you`re friend is to be applauded, it is a trate that is sadly missing these days, I am very pleased to hear that his wife is getting support, hope he gets a decent result with the appeal, we all agree wrong is wrong, but so is sending a decent fulltime carer to prison
Hardly decent if he defrauded the benefits system, wrong is wrong!
Hardly decent if he defrauded the benefits system, wrong is wrong![/quote]

Hi
It's going to make no difference what I say some mind's have been made up and that is you have done wrong and in no matter what circumstances ie being carer or not you are guilty so you can no longer be a decent person you give up all your rights forget all the good thing's you have they don't count anymore you have committed the worse sin ever you have cheated the system.
Now a crime is a crime can any of us say we have never taken anything that doesn't belong to us ie Pen's Note paper eaten a grape in a supermarket taken soap from an hotel or even any other things that are not ours including knocking off early from work taking extra time for your lunch break saying you had a dentist appointment when you didnt .
Well it is all stealing a criminal act in theory you could get prosecuted whether it's a penny or a £1,000 pound it's stealing and if a judge wanted to make an example as the judge did with my friend he would be with in his or her right to do so.
Now think hard could you say with hand on heart you haven't ever done any of these thing's it's a question to all of you not just one person.
If you have done any of these thing's in the eyes of the law you are a criminal so let's hope that a judge doesn't make a example of you if you are ever found out.
We have someone on here training in law I to have trained in law in some way and stealing is stealing whether intentional or unintentional i am sure our young law student will confirm this.

John
Let those without sin cast the first stone....
It could be a good story for the nationals...they may help him even.
I agree with dorothy. Let him without sin cast the first stone.