[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
They Can find Space in Prison - Carers UK Forum

They Can find Space in Prison

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi

I have just found out that a friend of mine as been sent to prison.
He had cheated while being on benefits he Care's for his wife who as an illness.
I don't condone what he did but to send him to prison for a year i think is wrong.
Yes he should pay for what he did but a custodial sentence i think it is wrong.
Why not give community work or some other punishment.
He as never been in trouble before he is a good father and husband and a very caring person that would always help you.
They let rapist and mugger's out into the community because they say the prison's are full but you cheat on benefits which is Only money and not hurting or injuring anybody then they can find a space for you they did the same thing last with that pensioner when he refused to pay his full amount of council tax.
Crimes that include money get more severe punishment than crimes against humans money rules everytime look at 30 years for the great train robbers 10 for murder.
He shouldn't have cheated but he also should not have been put in prison.
John
PS He will still remain a good friend as far as i am concerned
Well said John. I feel the same as you. He's a lucky chap to have a real pal like you. Maybe he'll be out early for good behaviour. Makes you sick when you see the punishment for violent crimes. Money rules this greedy world I'm afraid and the sentences.

Wish him well from me John,

Pete
To be sent to prison for a year presumably means his crime was quite serious, and not just a misdemeanour! Cheating the benefits/tax systems is despicable, there is less in the pot for the honest citizens who don't cheat! Your friend deserves his sentence, imo.
I agree with Sarniajoy.

Although it is despicable that people who commit violent crimes get light sentences I cannot see any justification for any kind of benefit fraud, especially when there are so many people who should be getting financial support but don't.

Hopefully your friend will learn the error of his ways and never do it again.

Additionally the government wants to have severe sentences as a deterrent and to show like they're doing something to clamp down on this kind of crime.
I agree with Sarniajoy and Alex that fraud is serious. BUT...GBH and murder, violence of any kind is despicable but fraud is more despicable in the eyes of our government because it's money. The most important thing on Earth. Image The space this man is taking up in prison will just give community service to another violent crime.

A true example of this is of a runaway junkie in a car on the road fleeing from police behind him dangerously using the roads at 70mph in a 30mph limit and nearly killing innocent people getting in his way. His punishment? A year behind bars.
To be sent to prison for a year presumably means his crime was quite serious, and not just a misdemeanour! Cheating the benefits/tax systems is despicable, there is less in the pot for the honest citizens who don't cheat! Your friend deserves his sentence, imo.
Hi

I did say that I didnt condone what he did I think he should be punished but I thought that a prison sentence was not right as we are told prisoners are being released early and people committing violent crimes get community service not prison.
Yes it is despicable cheating anybody and especially the the needy and yes he should be made to understand not to do it again.
But what is prison going to achieve that couldn't have been done by giving him some other punishment we are told it doesnt help reform violent criminals how's it going to help a none violent person.
You all have the right to your opinions as I have mine.
(Sarniajoy)
I only hope if ever you become a Judge and I come up in front of you for a parking offence I think I better pack my Bag's for (Botany Bay) only Joking please don't take any offence.
John.
Since no-one else has asked - who is now looking after his wife?
Since no-one else has asked - who is now looking after his wife?
Very good question Cotula.

But what is prison going to achieve that couldn't have been done by giving him some other punishment we are told it doesnt help reform violent criminals how's it going to help a none violent person.
The same reasoning could be applied to offenders of violent crimes that have acted under duress or provocation. the offender is often of sound mind but one instance winds then up and makes then do something they wouldnt normally do if they were acting rationally.

I think the point of a custodial sentence is to show to people who are thinking of fraudulently claiming benefits that if they caught they'll get dealt with severely.
Obviously violent offenders, paedophiles and the like should have the full weight of the law down on them too!