[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
THE SIX MILLION - Page 7 - Carers UK Forum

THE SIX MILLION

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
82 posts
I dont know where to start with this post as I find myself agreeing with many of the points made previously even though they differ depending on whom posting. Image Image

Whether economics or about families, for me the fact remains that by supporting families in real terms could actually still help the economy but more importantly would mean more resources could be directed to those that need it. Instead of local authorities tightening criteria, more and more people could receive a service. This is going to be vital as people live longer and are wanting to stay at home.

The welfare system is not working, social care system is desperate for reform, yet the one constant through this is family support. If that crumbles, not only will families suffer, but the country as a whole will.
On paper I can create full time employment for myself and claim Tax credits of £70 per week and only work part time and keep CA. Morally it’s dubious.

All I have to do is find a part-time job paying less then £95 per week, and then register self employed. This will put me in a position to claim Tax credit. All I would need to do is get some businesses cards printed and stick a few adverts in local shops or advertise on Gumtree. You don’t need to actually get work. You could actually price yourself out of the market so you don’t get any.

End result £95 wage £53 CA and £70 tax credit = £218 and still receive £52.87 in HB and council tax benefit
Total £270.87 I would increase my income by £60 per week, in reality I would be getting £60 a week extra from the Government.

I would not be generating any wealth for the country.

Might as well give me £60 extra in benefits and save on the paperwork
That's why we are in trouble, its not creating any wealth.
These days most "new" wealth is created by a very few people working in the extractive industries, manufacturing and agriculture. For example, the oil industry creates vast wealth but only employs a few tens of thousand people directly. That's the nature of mechanisation and improved productivity. The rest of us are all ultimately further down the economic chain, either working in service industries and/or indeed as consumers, we are helping to keep money moving through the system and thereby generating tax revenues for the State, which in turn pay for our benefits and public services.
Trouble is there is not enough new money coming into the system, that's why the country's broke. Labour put more money into the system then it could afford. They should have concentrated on creating proper jobs that actually create wealth for the country and not pretend jobs.
The disabled and their carers should not be included in this whole generating wealth discussion in the first place, it's not a lifestyle choice, no one chooses to be disabled and the measure of society is how it treats it's most vulnerable.
We are all being drawn into this welfare argument because in true Tory style the way out of recession or indeed just normal practice for them is to strangle the vulnerable, be that disabled or unemployed, they are making the poorest pay for the greed of the richest as per usual, did anyone really expect anything less?
Vicky
childcare is differant in the fact that parents get child allowance for each child until there finish school no matter what the earn also get child tax credits and once a child is of school age a parent can go to work. a full time carer dont have those options open to them and it is a lifetime conmitment and not just 18 years..
Trouble is politicians use us and the disabled to help the economy, when this stops, is when we will be treated properly.
The disabled and their carers should not be included in this whole generating wealth discussion in the first place, it's not a lifestyle choice, no one chooses to be disabled and the measure of society is how it treats it's most vulnerable.
We are all being drawn into this welfare argument because in true Tory style the way out of recession or indeed just normal practice for them is to strangle the vulnerable, be that disabled or unemployed, they are making the poorest pay for the greed of the richest as per usual, did anyone really expect anything less?
Vicky
I agree totally with what you have said Vicky.

If you have read some of my post's i said this would happen people on here complained about Mr Brown and labour but what we have now god only knows.

With there emergency budget why mention a new medical for DLA when the money given to the bank's because of there misuse of money will take years to pay it back if they ever do pay it back in full with interest.

That's why as a country we are in the Sh-t not because the government got us in it because of overstretching loans by the bank's.

So as for an increase in benefits it's going to be if you can keep what you already have not more.

He who as more gets more.

John
childcare is differant in the fact that parents get child allowance for each child until there finish school no matter what the earn also get child tax credits and once a child is of school age a parent can go to work. a full time carer dont have those options open to them and it is a lifetime conmitment and not just 18 years..
Carers fall into lots of categories, but a very common scenario is a working age adult caring for a frail elderly parent, and this situation rarely continues for more than a few years.
http://www.carersuk.org/Information Every day, another six thousand people take on a caring responsibility
So thats over 2 Million carers a year either joining or leaving our ranks, giving an average length of caring of around 3 years.

And just as many parents juggle childcare with work, so too do very many carers of working age juggle caring with employment, often sharing the care with other family members and/or paid care workers/providers. In fact this is probably the norm for working age carers, very many of whom are juggling childcare with caring for a parent too.
I have been a parent and carer now continuously for over twenty years, its another factor to bear in mind when we get all judgemental about who has the hardest workload.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... oared.html
It now costs an average of £186,032 to raise a child from birth to the age of 21, the equivalent of £8,859 a year, £738 a month or £24.30 a day, according to the friendly society Liverpool Victoria.

For families with three or more children, the costs are even more considerable, and explain why so many women are postponing having babies until they have established themselves in well-paid careers.

Child care remains the single biggest cost faced by parents, with the average family spending £50,538 on it in the first 21 years of their child's life.
A well timed post because my daughter is 21 today!
Overall, Liverpool Victoria estimated the total cost of raising all the children born in Britain during 2006 will be £140 billion, excluding the impact of inflation
82 posts