[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
The Ghost Sister strikes again. - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

The Ghost Sister strikes again.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Mum should be having all the care she needs arranged for her, as she is just out of hospital.
What are you having to do that the carers provided won't? Does she need more care than she is getting at the moment?
Mum has 'reablement' carers coming in. They are meant to encourage her to do what she used to do before the fall and the hip replacement. Mum has a bit of Stockholm Syndrome and is struggling to adapt to the outside world. She's got used to stuff being brought to her etc and now she's being encouraged to do for herself she isn't very keen. She's inclined to make out she's forgotten where the tea things are and what not. It is possible, of course, that she has forgotten. I've tried to encourage her as much as possible but GS comes in and Mum's willingness to give stuff a try goes out the window.
My mum is on week four of enablement carers, started off with three a day and has been cut down to one a day in the morning. She too has struggled with the idea of doing things for herself again, sometimes it’s difficult to work out whether she really can’t to things due to a much reduced mobility since hip fracture and a month in hospital, or whether she just prefers to wait until I turn up to do things for her. She seems ten times worse mobility wise since being discharged from hospital.
She seems ten times worse mobility wise since being discharged from hospital.

Mmmm ... a potential unsafe hospital discharge ?

Care plan ... recovery on schedule ???

Occupational therapist ... what's their view ?
If the reablement care provided isn't enough, then have you asked for more?
In some circumstances the Care Act makes it clear that it can be provided for longer than 6 weeks, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
Care after illness or hospital discharge (reablement)

If you or someone you know has been in hospital or had an illness or fall, you may need temporary care to help you get back to normal and stay independent.

This temporary care is called intermediate care, reablement or aftercare.

Most people receive this type of care for around 1 or 2 weeks, although it can be free for a maximum of 6 weeks. It will depend on how soon you are able to cope at home.

If you need care for longer than 6 weeks, you'll have to pay for it.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-ca ... eablement/
Thank you for your support everyone. I'm trying not to be too much of a helicopter and encouraging Mum to do for herself and she does seem to be picking up. I think the problem to a certain extent is that while in hospital everything was done for her and she thinks she has forgotten everything. Now we are coaxing her to make her own tea and do her own sandwiches she seems a little brighter. GS is still wafting about being completely useless.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop - she and her partner will probably be disappearing off for another holiday in a couple of weeks leaving me holding the baby. If it's like last time she'll mention it very late on a Friday with her due to bog off on the Saturday morning.