[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
this guy had a real problem with the disabled and unemployed - Carers UK Forum

this guy had a real problem with the disabled and unemployed

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Whilst nosing around on Facebook, I found someone I thought was interesting. He was expressing lots of opinions about the current unemployment problems and I thought great! Someone to have a chat with and maybe recruit as a blogger on the site.

His first few opinions seemed alright, I though yeah okay some strong opinions but fair, then we got into deep waters.

It turned out he wasn’t expressing them just because he had an interest in the subject but also because he simply had a hatred for the unemployed people with kids. It was probably stupid of me but I tried reasoning with him, giving both sides of the coin rather than tar everyone with the same brush.

He wasn’t pleased about this, he had a plain and simple hatred for people who he claimed had children just for benefits. Despite the fact that many people have kids before becoming unemployed and end up stuck in a rut because of lack of jobs or because the experience needed these days is very different to what you needed many years ago.
Many years ago, my dad didn’t need qualifications to be a joiner, he was self taught and great at the job that was all employers needed to know.
These days you have to have bags full of qualifications, it doesn’t matter if you’re someone just out of college with hardly any experience (and are not all that good at the job) as long as you have the certificate.
This rather rude man wouldn’t accept that, he was determined to tar everyone with the same brush. His simply thought was “if your unemployed you only have kids for the moneyâ€
Was his name Adolf, by any chance?
Was he a Sun reader?

I have read these types of comments over and over again in the tabloid comments sections, especially during the Sun's current two-month onslaught on benefit claimants, I have read them in the comments sections of the BBC website and in the broadsheets.

I attribute them to ignorance, the ignorance, i.e. lack of knowledge, which underlies all prejudice. I also attribute them to laziness, an unwillingness to make the effort to find out the facts before voicing an opinion.

This is what the social housing thread was about, a parody on the stereotypes which are so frequently expressed by ignorant people like this man, whilst we may laugh at them, after all we are laughing at the public perception of ourselves, they are sufficiently commonly held to be of concern.

We live in a hierarchical society and some groups have to be seen to be at the bottom of the hierarchy, unfortunately when you are at the bottom it is exceedingly hard to get your voice heard because your opinion, however educated, is tainted by your socio-econmic status.
Tinkq, there will always be people like that on the internet. We've occasionally seen some examples here. Sadly, one of the advantages of the internet is also it's biggest weakness: it is an access point for everyone who has a computer connected to it to have their say. There is no limit on the quantity - and no control over the quality - of the content! Image
Tinq
did you ask him if he worked?
Tinq
did you ask him if he worked?
I did as it happens and guess what?

no he didn't and yes he had children.

He was very stroppy when I asked saying he didn't have children for benefits my reply was not everyone does but your tarring everyone including yourself that way.

he called me a spammer to which I supplied a deifnition of one and proved I was not then he said "well define fool then!"

My reply which I am very proud of was "try looking in the mirror you might find one"
what a twat.
sorry, can't add anything more constructive. i don't think you can educate people like this, it takes a long time and a lot of investment for people to reach this level of twatdome, so save your valuable energy. YOU know, that's alll that matters.
Was he a Sun reader?

I have read these types of comments over and over again in the tabloid comments sections, especially during the Sun's current two-month onslaught on benefit claimants, I have read them in the comments sections of the BBC website and in the broadsheets.

I attribute them to ignorance, the ignorance, i.e. lack of knowledge, which underlies all prejudice. I also attribute them to laziness, an unwillingness to make the effort to find out the facts before voicing an opinion.

This is what the social housing thread was about, a parody on the stereotypes which are so frequently expressed by ignorant people like this man, whilst we may laugh at them, after all we are laughing at the public perception of ourselves, they are sufficiently commonly held to be of concern.

We live in a hierarchical society and some groups have to be seen to be at the bottom of the hierarchy, unfortunately when you are at the bottom it is exceedingly hard to get your voice heard because your opinion, however educated, is tainted by your socio-econmic status.
The sun and a few other tabloid and similar newspapers have been running campaigns recently where they find all abuses of the benefits system such as someone having an excessive number of kids who is unemployed and does not want to get a job even though she is perfectly capable of doing so. They have helped paint all benefit claimants with this lazy scounger brush and make sure the country likes the governments massive cuts in benefits except the withdrawal of any higher earners and middle class get.