[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
The Big Question - Carers UK Forum

The Big Question

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Is anyone watching this programme?There is a Parent Carer on,and she is trying to get her point across very well, about caring and the difficulties.
Of course, nobody is taking on board how difficult life is. It is suggested that she could have volunteers in to do her housework, as part of the "Big Society".Nobody sees it, do they?Why can't she be entitled to a life too?(and her son, for that matter).
Speaking personally I don't particularly want a lot of know nothing do-gooders trying to score brownie points by 'volunteering' to help Image I'd much rather have paid professionals who had least are supposed to know what they are doing Image
Susie, that was one of the issues that the Parent Carer tried to get across.Someone else suring the programme also asked what our MPs are doing as their part in the "Big Society".
Speaking personally I don't particularly want a lot of know nothing do-gooders trying to score brownie points by 'volunteering' to help Image I'd much rather have paid professionals who had least are supposed to know what they are doing Image
That's a really good point Susie, if we did have the do-gooders volunteering to help I would worry about the accountability of them if they made a mistake.
I too do not want untrained, unvetted strangers in my home. If you were to ask nondisabled, noncarer members of general public whether they would let total strangers into their home who they have not themselves chosen or checked the answer is probably no so why should we be willing to agree to it as an alternative to properly-funded, properly-commissioned, properly-inspected and accountable services?
From the other side of the argument, the man who spoke after the mother of the disabled child, made the point that more people than ever are having to take 2 or 3 jobs in these hard times, how can they then be expected to come home and fill a gap.
The Rabbi thought it was as simple as watch 4 hours of TV instead of 6!
This is not about bringing home a few bits of shopping for an elderly neighbour.
I do not want anyone coming into my home with no training working with my children and tbh I don't believe anyone would last 5 minutes in any case.
Vicky
Yes Vicky, and I hope that we do hear more people pointing out that they need to work a lot of hours to keep their own families, let alone supporting others by volunteering.( My sister works fulltime, she only has herself to think about,but her car is on its last legs, limping along and she cannot afford a lot of treats in her life.She is content, but would not have the time or energy to volunteer).