the 50's , 60's or 70's ?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Those were the days, John. We had respect for our parents, people and property, and knew how to handle our little bit of money - no credit cards, HP a dirty word, you saved your pennies (literally) for what you wanted or went without.
And everyone mucked in to look after the elderly members of the family without any State aid.
Those were the days? And there was me thinking it was all about teddy boys and scooter gangs slashing at each other with razors and taking drugs..... Image

oh and this too of course:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~asylums/wish4.jpg (Image removed by moderator, click on link to view)

On July 5 1948 the National Health Service took control of 480,000 hospital beds in England and Wales. Most of these were long stay asylums formerly run by local authorities - for older people, people with learning or physical disabilities, and older people - inherited from Poor Law Britain - hidden away in the countryside - these vast workhouses were effectively a gulag for the poor and vulnerable, from which few patients were ever released, and then mainly feet-first.
Lest we forget.
Hi Excalibur
Yes you are right about Teddy boy's slashing people, Well some people.
But in them good old days you knew if you killed someone you could get Hung and with most crimes there was punishment that fit the crime.
Hanging was a deterrent no matter what people may say that are against it.
John
TALKING ABOUT HANGING DO YOU KNOW YOU CANT HANG A MAN WITH A WOODEN LEG.

YOUVE GOT TO USE A ROPE. Image
Hi Excalibur
John
The chances of anyone re-offending were slight too Image
Hi Excalibur
John
The chances of anyone re-offending were slight too Image
Oh I give up with you flipping lot......!!!
The big problem was that they kept on hanging innocent people.....we are still pardoning them (Bentley). In those days hanging was a form of collective catharsis, guilt was a secondary consideration...of course these days we just shoot on sight (ref: brazilian/ electrician)
Hi
Hindsight is not a luxury that you have when you have to make a split second decision.
ie shooting a possible suspect that was in a period of time when this country was at war and during that time it was war.
As for Innocent people being hung you are right it did happen Derek Bentley should have never hanged I don't know how old you are but i remember that case very clearly that poor lad was arrested 20 minutes before that police officer was shot.
The other person that shot him only lives a short distance from where i live he went on to get married and have children poor Derek did not.
Also Timothy Evans was innocent.
But many are guilty so yes mistakes were made but wouldn't it had been better that in proven case's with out any doubt ie Myra Hindley and her partner and Sutcliff that they should have been Hung and not to forget the Soham murders wouldn't it be better that they were all hung rather than continual expense to the Tax payers or have us Flipping lot got it wrong again.?
John.
Check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controvers ... ce_Custody
There have been a disproportionate number of deaths of black people in British Police custody which have never been properly investigated. According to the Institute of Race Relations, out of 75 cases of such deaths in custody they recorded in 1991, only one has resulted in a prosecution (of the police) and only in that one has the family of the deceased received compensation.
Between 1990 and 2004, 25 children have taken their own lives in prison and two have died in secure training centres - source]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Deaths_in_Custody[/url]
Hi Excalibur
I don't doubt what you are saying but you are changing the subject again could you answer my posting with out doing what politician's do answering a question with another question.
But i forgot you want to be a politician.
John.
The topic has moved on somewhat from its original being. It was about wages and where £48.65 would fit as a skilled worker's wage.

While the discussion we are now having is interesting - and I don't want to inhibit this - can we also try to remember the original question? - two discussions for the price of one! Image