[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
the 50's , 60's or 70's ? - Carers UK Forum

the 50's , 60's or 70's ?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
What decade would £48.65 have been seen as a fair wage for 35 hrs week, considering the multi skilling required to be a Carer?

Clue-the 50's is over 50 years ago!, for those of you to young to remeber.
I was a civil servant in the late 70s. My salary was £1800 a year - £34.61 a week before stoppages. So I'd say the 70s as skilled workers could earn much more. However, that's still 30 years ago.
1978 my take home pay was £25 per week after deductions.

Out of that........ I paid mam my board
All expenses to work,dinners etc.
Still left enough to have a hell of a social life Image Image Image Image
in 1978 i was leading class 1 mainline railman take home pay £90 when i retired in 1997 i was on constant nights + overtime well over £35-000

JUST REMEMBERED WHEN I STARTED "WORK" WITH STAN LATE 60`S I WAS ON £50 TAKE HOME AND IVE GOT THE NERVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT M.P`S EMPLOYING THEIR SONS/DAUGHTERS WITH MY FIRST WEEKS WAGES BOUGHT A MORRIS VAN EX POST OFFICE

I was still at school in 1978 Image

I was still at school in 1978 Image
Pmsl @ you still in school.

Sad thing is Paula we no doubt have members/lurkers not even born then Image Image

What decade would £48.65 have been seen as a fair wage for 35 hrs week, considering the multi skilling required to be a Carer?

Clue-the 50's is over 50 years ago!, for those of you to young to remeber.
I was earning exactly that amount doing nursing auxiliary work in the early 1980's and was so broke that I claimed housing benefit to top it up and did weekends with the TA... but my first wage was as a holiday barman in Wales in the late 1960's at the age of 15 earning £7/10 shillings a week - to be fair beer cost 2/8 a pint then - around what --- 13p..... happy days, four to a room, ho ho ho....
In 1957 I started work at 16 - my salary was £1.17.6d per week (£1.75p), my annual increase was 2/6d per week (12 1/2p) for 5 years. I left after a couple of years to earn the glorious sum of £3 per week as a secretary. The whole of my starting salary I gave to my mum, she gave me 2/6d back as pocket money plus 5/- (25p) for bus fares and dinner money.
I left School 1957 age 15.
Left on the Friday started work on the Monday Apprentice Machine shop.
46 & half hours a week £2.4s 6d Gave it all to Mum who gave me back 12s 6d for myself.
And still kept my paper round for a year after starting my full time job one shilling a morning 7 shilling for the full 7 days had to get up at 4-30 am to do my paper round then be at the factory for 7-30 am.
So i dont think it was the 1950's for that wage that was asked about I would say mid 70's
John
Those were the days, John. We had respect for our parents, people and property, and knew how to handle our little bit of money - no credit cards, HP a dirty word, you saved your pennies (literally) for what you wanted or went without.
And everyone mucked in to look after the elderly members of the family without any State aid.