[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
That's My Goal!!! - Carers UK Forum

That's My Goal!!!

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I know its a tall order - but if I win the lottery - or when my Dad retires - Im going to make it my goal to bring more awareness to the government about carers allowance and campaign to get the amount raised to reflect a working wage for all carer's as its a 24 hour job not 9 to 5.

I know its just a small straw amongst a huge stack of hay that needs sorted out. I have to say also I would aim to get awareness raised throughout the education system - our children are our future and the more aware they are the better chance carer's a disabled people have in the future.

I know you may all think this is an empty promise - but it may take years but one day - I promise I am going to do what I can...

HOW? is that the question you are asking? I dont know yet - but this is where I am starting by becoming part of the support network and learning more about myself and my children for a start and hearing about other people too... financially - in the future I wont have to worry. My Dad has a very successful business... he is supposed to be retiring in the next 10 years - and my sister Im sure will be doing whatever she wants with her half, but I plan to make a difference - even the slightest dent in people's lives will be important.

Besides the campaigning to get issues addressed for carers and disability awareness - I plan to set up a holiday network for carers and disabled children and adults... SO... if anyone has any advice where I can start and what I can do in this venture please let me know - I need for a start someone who can help me create a website - and someone who knows about running groups with this kind of purpose. What I mean by holiday network - is where a group of people can plan to go on holiday together - carers and disabled dependants so that when this network go - they have support. I know all to well what its like to go on holiday on my own with my 3 children (2 having disabilities).

Hope you all enjoyed reading this new thread, and any suggestions would be welcomed.
A good place to create your website is:

http://smfforfree.com
What I mean by holiday network - is where a group of people can plan to go on holiday together - carers and disabled dependants so that when this network go - they have support. I know all to well what its like to go on holiday on my own with my 3 children (2 having disabilities).
Hi Marion, That's a really great idea, Image it sounds like something along the lines of the Gingerbread club/association that was started up to support divorced and single parents.
ok i will keep you all posted on the progress I make - cant do anything this week as got a lot of appointments to attend with sophie - yes it is like that - but instead its for people with disabilities..
Hi Marion l dont have any ideas but like the thought of a stress free holiday l did run a special needs playscheme for over ten years for the sake of having somewhere to take my daughter myself and two other mums started it up with help from local council. l gave up when my daughter was 18 as she was getting to old to go have thought of trying to set something up for young disabled adults but cant find anyone else interested enough l dont know what the council think happens to them after the turn 18 My daughter is nearly 22 now she suffers from Autism and a form of cerebal palsy.
l know l have not been much help but a little encourgement goes a long way so just thought l would let you know your idea sounds brilliant and l hope you can help improve things for yourself and others in the future
best of luck
Jeanxx
Thanks Jean - Im thinking along the lines of helping disabled adults too not just the children - hoping to create a site where people can find each other and match themselves up with someone who they think would be suitable to go away with then plan their holidays together
Im thinking along the lines of helping disabled adults too not just the children
Thank you marion28. When children with a disability become adults they seem to fall off the radar until they reach old age. A scheme to put in place social clubs for adults with a disability disco once week in safe environment would be very welcome country wide, I know many places have them they are very ad-hock but here in the south East provision of any kind is notoriously bad. My daughter 23 sits in doors every night except once a month she goes to a special disco someone started up and she absolutely loves going.
Well there is a community centre near me which is very disabled friendly - and my sister is a DJ so how bout I start something up there???? Its also very family friendly so even children and adults could go