[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
NI contributions when you're on CA - Carers UK Forum

NI contributions when you're on CA

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
When I received my CA award letter in 2006 it stated that you would normally receive class 1 NI contributions while you're on CA and it also said that these may help you build up entitlement to other benefits in the future such as Incapacity Benefit and contributions-based Jobseekers Allowance.

Incapacity Benefit is now called Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

I applied for ESA because my GP thinks I'm too sick to work. I have a medical certificate for a month.

I've been told I have not paid enough NI contributions in the years 2010 and 2011 to qualify for contributions-based ESA. I have received CA continuously from 2006 until today (my caree died 2 months ago)

Would anyone know why the award letter suggests we will receive class 1 NI credits when we're on CA that may entitle us to things like sickness benefit - and yet I don't qualify?

Hope you can help. Many thanks.
i'm self employed and claim cares allowance and i'm class 2 ni exempt because i get carers allowance which is tax and ni liable,i'd dispute it and ring national insurance office to sort the problem out,or if all else fails argue like my dad did for his pension on the grounds immigrants who haven't lived here all there lifes get these things,it worked for my dad,good luck.
I`m pretty sure they have it wrong too.If you don`t get any joy from them try Citizens Advice or your Neighbourhood Office if you have one.You could also try the Carers UK advice line. Image
Hi Cherish,

Our Adviceline will have the answer to this one - contact details are here: https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... dvice-line

Best wishes,
Lucy
Having read somewhere, possibly the Carers magazine, that it was a good idea to check contributions when you were on CA, I was dismayed to find that my record was grossly incorrect. In time it was corrected properly, but I'm glad I did it when I was 40 something rather than have a nasty shock later!