[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tell us a Story or your Memories. - Carers UK Forum

Tell us a Story or your Memories.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi
After my thread about thinking back i am sure there are many other stories out there about what as happened in your life it could before or since you have become a carer.
You don't have to name names or where it happened or when it happened just share it with us.

I will start with one.

When i was a young lad there was a clothes shop near us run by a Father&son and there little trick was to any stranger they didn't know was to make out the son was deaf he would stand out the front of the shop and none of the clothes would have price's on them so people had to ask the son how much the son would then say pardon i am a little deaf and then the people would speak up a bit ie if there was a suit somebody wanted he would then shout to his dad out the back how much was it this had been cleverly planned if the suit was £6 the dad would shout out £8 the son would say i think dad said £6 the people would snap it up quick and get off very quickly thinking they had got a bargain but the £6 pound was what they wanted for the suit.
If someone was honest and said your dad said £6 the son would always say thanks for that for being honest your can have the suit for £6 anyway they never cheated anybody only there gimmick for selling it nearly always worked.
John
We had a local shop, meant to be toys and hardware, but sold a little bit of everything. The owner was a a wonderfully eccentric elderly lady. Her serving counter was a Grand Piano, and she would put anything down on it, without ever even scratching it.

One of her sisters also had a shop, as well as being a Carer for their sister with Downs Syndrome. The whole family was well known for being eccentric, as well as the loveliest people you could ever hope to meet. The lady with Downs Syndrome lived well into her 70's.
Not really a story but thoughts on how times used to be. I can always remember when the coalman delivered our coal on his horse drawn cart. We all felt so sorry for poor old Neddy his horse! He pulled all those cwts of coal right across Coventry. We used to give him carrots and make such a fuss of him, poor old thing. The coalmans name was Mr Skinner and he lived up to his name. He was a really skinny fellow and looked as if a cwt of coal would break him in two!
Then there was Flossy the milk lady. She was always happy and was called Flossy because of her mass of blonde hair flowing behind her on her milk cart. That too was horse drawn but her horse was a grumpy thing, unlike its owner so we didn't feed him as much.

There were two tea vans that came around each week. One sold "Flowery Peco Tips" and the other one "Timpsons Tea". We had the latter.

"Davenports Beer" was also a weekly visitor. The slogan on the side read: "Beer at Home Means Davenports" Anyone with that surname got nick named "Beer at Home".

Mr Dyde the Grocer always delivered to the door every week. No charge. He got the unfortunate nick name of "Diddly Dyde" because he always seemed to have some blackmarket goodies under his shop counter during those post war ration book days! My best mates Mother refused to shop there because she was so insenced by his underhand dealings.

The Greengrocer Mr Huxom also delivered free each week. As honest as the day that man.

The "Corona" Pop lorry called weekly. We had four bottles of pop per week. Lemonade, Cydapple, Cherryade and Limeade.

Musn't forget the Baker. He too had a horse drawn van. I used to love the smell of his freshly baked bread. Funny, I cant remember his name but I can still see his jolly red face standing on our doorstep holding a huge wicker basket, nearly as big as himself!!

The monthly visitors were Mr Goffe, the window cleaner. He rode all around Coventry on his pushbike carrying his ladder on his shoulder and his metal bucket clanking on his handlebars. His ladders rungs were so worn out that I used to watch him to see if a rung would break! Nasty little boy.
Last but not least was the "Rag and Bone man". He had a selection of gas filled balloons that us kids would have died for. Unfortunatly none of us ever got one. We could never collect enough "tat" to warrent one. "Sigh!"
There was also the yearly visitors like the French Onion Seller, The knife sharpener who had a grinding wheel attatched to his bike. (My Dad was a Presicion Grinder at Alfred Herberts Machine Tools and he said that he made a "Pigs Ear" of the job!) Lastly the Gypsys with their Beautiful Paper flowers and wooden pegs. Mum liked a little fortune telling as well, unbeknown to our Dad!

Hey ho! Happy Days. Coal fires, shilling meters, no hot water, only an old Geyser over the bath. (We were lucky) Parrifin stoves and a Dolly Tub!

Its late, must get to bed. Night night all.

Pete Image
People seemed to be happier back then Pete. There was a closeness with friends and neighbours. Unlike today. Thanks for posting that. Really enjoyed reading it. Image
I had forgotten about the Corona man.THanks for the memory.

On a Sunday lunchtime, the local Italian Ice cream sellers used to come round(this was in the late 60's), and we used to run out with a bowl and get five scoops of icecream for our pudding, (four scoops and we were allowed raspberry sauce, if our Dad was working!) Image
Hi
These are the stories I want to hear of.
Fantastic keep em coming.
John
Those were the days when you could leave your front or back door open. I've still got an old tin of Mansion Red Polish that I used to polish the front porch with. And I can remember blackleading the grate. We used to collect newspapers, roll them and twist them into plaits to light the fire. 6 pence (old money) a week pocket money - you got to get into the Saturday morning flicks with that and some strips of liquorice root which you chewed until it went all stringy.
I remember going into someone's back garden down the lane and picking half her tulips 'cos we didn't have any flowers (dad grew veggies in the little back garden) and planting them in the tiny strip of front garden, then running in to tell mum that the flowers had grown up overnight. I thought she'd be pleased, instead I was marched down to the lady's house and made to apologise. I must have been about 3 and not able to read properly - dad came home and pointed out a bit in the paper and 'read' to me that a naughty girl had stolen some flowers from a neighbour's garden and when the police caught her she was going to a home for bad girls. I was too scared to go out for a week. But I never did it again.
Dad used to go to the Army Surplus store and buy stuff - he came home with a parachute one day which mum cut up to make knickers, bras, blouses and slips and a little smocked dress for me. All the relatives and neighbours had a share as well.
Dad had a cobblers last and used to mend our shoes - in the winter we cut Kelloggs cornflake boxes up to line our shoes with, it was OK until your shoes let the rain in then you had a soggy grey mess.
Anyone remember suger sandwiches and bread and milk sop - those were treats and for Sunday tea we had shrimp paste sandwiches, and special, special treat was bread and beef dripping - my salivary glands are working just thinking about it Image
I could go on for ages - you know what they say, long term memory overtaking short term memory is a sure sign of getting old Image
Can't beat all your stories - at 61 I'm too young - ha! ha!

But your mention of different treats in the food line reminded me of Wagon Wheels - remember them ? So I had to go out and buy some, is it my imagination or have they shrunk !? I remember them as being much, much bigger. Mind you they still taste the same - yummy and too many calories Image

One of my earliest memories is of being taken out to buy new shoes; I must have been about 5 years old. My mother always insisted on having our feet measured in the shoe shop and they had this big machine that you stood on and it x-rayed your feet. I can remember being quite fascinated by being able to see the bones in my feet through the shoes ! Wouldn't be allowed now ! We always had Clarks shoes as children until we were about 12 or 13, then we were allowed to have shoes with little heels (Louis heels ) and they nearly always came from Lilley & Skinners in London's Oxford Street. Going 'up to town' for the day was a real treat and usually only happened around a birthday or near Christmas. After the shoes had been bought then we would have afternoon tea in one of the big stores like Selfridges or John Lewis and woe betide us if we were not our best behaviour Image

susieq
Hi

These memories are reminding me of many more thing's.
Susie i agree with you Wagon Wheels are smaller they used to be a meal in themselves when i was young.
I once said to a friend of ours that they were smaller now and i was told no it's your hands and your mouth that are bigger now and make's Waggon Wheels look smaller.
And when i see liquorish root's a friend of ours brought some back for me from his holiday from an oldie worldie sweet shop.
I am 5 years older than you Susie so may remember a little bit more than you but Not a Lot.
And Pete your memories brought back a lot to me and Gem that lovely smell of Mansion polish Mum always used that and Daisy ice cream tasted better from a bowl back in those days.
Keep these memories coming.
John
We used to have 6d a day for sweets (in the 60's), except Sunday, when our money was for church. In Lent , our money used to go straight into the lent box.

When my Dad(a pipe smoker) needed some baccy, my sister and I would go up to the corner shop and get him " an ounce of Condor ready rubbed and a box of Swan please ".It is ingrained on my mind!Children now wouldn't be allowed to do that. Oh, and my sister and I have never smoked, ourselves.

WE had a great outdoor swimming pool. Children and older people used it in the mornings,and it was used by teenagers from about noon until it closed. You could stay there all day, sunbathe, eye up the boy /girl you fancied and your mother would know where you were. It was shut down, when the town had an indoor pool, which people didn;t use, as the cost was 50p, compared to 5p for the outdoor pool. We still miss that pool. It served three generations of children.