[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Swine flu - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Swine flu

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi all

We have been taking a lot of phone calls on this over the past weeks. We've written to the Minister to ask that carers be treated the same as they are for seasonal flu vaccine and made a priority for any vaccines coming.

I've just added a statement to the website here
http://www.carersuk.org/Newsandcampaign ... 1248967944
which answers as best we can, the 3 main questions our members have been asking us :
1. Whether they are a priority for vaccinations
2. How the distribution of anti-viral medication will work
3. What is the advice for contingency planning around health and social care.

Matt
I contacted the S.W. who is supposed to be doing my carers assessment in sept and asked her about the swine flu advice ie it stated that i should have an assessment ???? she has told me if i do come down with swine flu the old doll could if a place was available be placed within care/rest home but we may have to pay as we do now surely that can not be correct if iam ill why should we pay.
I also contacted the veterans agency and asked them about respite care if i came down with the swine flu as you know i have been told rspite care is only available if the veterans full time carer is ILL they have told me if i have the swine flu i must get a note from the doctor confirming i have the swine flu i must then send in my request for respite care along with the doctors certificate and i must explain why i can not access other family members help re care my request will then be considered and if approved respite care will be granted NOW HOW LONG WILL THAT TAKE AND WILL THEY ALLOW THE OLD DOLL WHO HAS HAD CONTACT WITH A SWINE FLU VICTIM ENTRY INTO CARE/REST HOME WHAT A SHAMBLES.
I have spent some considerable time trying to find out whether the seasonal flu vaccine is going to be available this year, seasonal flu is my main concern where my husband is concerned, it has been historically responsible for many more deaths than the current swine flu virus but obviously this could change if the swine flu virus mutates, and it appears that there is going to be a three-in-one vaccine but family carers do not currently appear as a distinct group on the list of priority groups who will have immediate access to the vaccine when it becomes available; obviously if they are in one of the other groups due to disease or are over 65 they will be covered by the first phase of the programme of vaccination. As far as I can make out the three-in-one vaccine will be available from next month to priority groups.

In my never humble opinion Image , it seems that the government has been so busy pandering to the misplaced fears of the worried well they have failed to sufficiently consider the needs of those who are most at risk of complications due to flu whatever the specific causative virus Image .
"the government has been so busy pandering to the misplaced fears of the worried well they have failed to sufficiently consider the needs of those who are most at risk of complications due to flu whatever the specific causative virus"

Well said! Government was over-reacting to they hysteria caused by the media .... perhaps hoping to redeem themselves from stealing from all of our pockets building duck islands and the like.

And thanks for raising the issue Matt for Carers UK.
the governemnt r struggling for money and less people r going to work, therefore saving money on wages, so the governement have let the media run wild
this has backfiered because we all now want a vacine, which they r having to come up with so now they got to spend money--
government should have controlled the media
My problem is that although my son is vulnerable regarding chest infections and swine flu (and ordinary flu) due to him being a ventilator user and also the DMD there is nothing we can do to protect him as he cannot get the flu jab (or MMR or the majority of the other jabs) because the vaccines are cultured on eggs and Robert is allergic to cow's milk, cheese and eggs.

Two of the agency care workers who were sent out to Robert were diagnosed with swine flu but so far (touchwood) he has escaped chest infections etc since we started him on 1000mg per day of vitamin C. They look like steradent tablets and you can buy them in Asda.

He was put on the vitamin C to make his urine more acidic to try to prevent his kidney stones forming into clumps and causing blockages (as has happened in the past) but it seems to have had a knock on effect of boosting his immune system.

Eun