[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Prescriptions? - Carers UK Forum

Prescriptions?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hello there :)

As a registered Carer, do I qualify for free or subsidised medical prescriptions please? I mentioned to my GP that I was a Carer but I was too embarrassed to raise the question.

I have also been on HB and Council Tax relief but the council is disputing that currently & I am appealing ... & I am in the middle of moving: so I don't know where I stand! :ohmy:

Thanks,

Owen
Hi Owen
I doubt that you would be able to get susbsidised or free prescriptions as a carer- no doubt someone will corret me if I am mistaken, but what I can suggest is a NHS pre payment certificate. You pay approx £100.00 up front and then you just show your card and tick the right box on the reverse of the prescription. Then you only have to worry about payment once and don't need to scrimp on asking for prescriptions because of the cost. I used this last year and really found it useful. Much better than having to find money unexpectedly for 3 prescriptions after one Dr's visit when you are feeling awful anyway!
Thanks Henrietta :)

Thought I'd better ask because I once paid for the flu jab when I was entitled not to pay, and the sadly latter-day, heavily politicised, bureaucratic NHS refused all my requests for a free jab ever afterwards :-| I didn't want to fall into this trap-for-the-unwary twice. Will pay up front.

Owen
You might try looking into help with prescription charges for those on low income too.
Hi Owen
Flu jabs are different! You definitely should be entitled to a free flu jab so make sure you ask at the surgery and let them know you are a carer.
We had free prescriptions on the grounds of low income, although my husband was working. Usually the level of entitlement is roughly the same as housing benefit and help with council tax, so well worth making further enquiries. Ask Google.
myrtle wrote:You might try looking into help with prescription charges for those on low income too.
Thanks. I wonder why the GP didn't suggest this - he knew I was having a lean time of it; sometimes wonder what planet GPs live on?
I once met a family with an adult son with Downs Syndrome. Only when he was an adult did they find out that he was entitled to any benefits. His disability was obvious and severe, but everyone thought everyone else had discussed benefits, in reality no one had. As a result they missed out of 20 years of benefits. GP is there for health issues, probably never even crossed his mind to suggest looking at benefits!
Yes, I've had this dialogue with the NHS before about benefit changes (austerity), some GPs are really clued in whilst others claim to be quite unaware of what is going on beyond the immediate confines of the consulting room.
Hi Owen and welcome,

this link may help; http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcost ... cheme.aspx

Melly1