support groups

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Pm you-don't know if it got there
Didn't realise it will come at end, shazlette-I've pm'd you
Have you actually contacted a Carers Support worker or had a Carers Assessment? It is so important to follow through on things like this. Council arranged or funded services are often not publicised, because it is assumed that you will go through the assessment process. I believe that every local authority is obliged to provide carer support services, although the way they do this may vary. In my area, there are coffee mornings for the carees and carers together. If you don't like what is available in your area, it's important to tell them that they are not suitable - then they can consider doing something different for you.
I'm more of a reader than a poster here, but i would welcome the chance to chat/meet up with other carers in my area (plymouth) after getting to know them. I'd be happy to receive any PMs if someone has a little cabal going here already lol.

I have also tried meets organised by local carer services. Having been isolated for so many years i find making time to attend a room of strangers with only caring as a common theme rather daunting. I suspect what i need most is the facility to occasional moan without coming across as a nurse ratchett or feeling guilty for doing so.

I would just like to add something on the subject of local organised carers support groups/services. On the occasions that i have desperately needed help or support i have found contacting them really frustrating. A whole industry has sprung up in the last few years locally around 'signposting' carers. I am often 'signposted' to another company/charity/money-spinning wheeze that 'signposts' me to another, and so on until i start seeing the same phone numbers again, always ending with my council. (trying to get a carers assessment that doesn't end up focusing entirely on my caree is not worth the stress for me).

When i ask for help, and everyone i ask points to someone else, it makes me wonder if all the money funding these 'services' could be better spent directly on things that carers need? There must be 200 people working in these 'services' in my area and i can't get a sitter for hospital appointments a few times a year.

Apologies for the little rant and i encourage anyone who needs help to keep asking whoever they can rather than stay silent.

Regards, Newt

p.s. For the admins: the information for groups in the south west includes 'carers champions'. This closed down a year or two ago so needs removal :)
p.s. For the admins: the information for groups in the south west includes 'carers champions'. This closed down a year or two ago so needs removal :)
Noted and will pass on to admin.