[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Advice -Carers UK Forum

Advice

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi everyone,

I have a 6 year old son who has ASD. We travel to Cyprus to visit my parent's every year. Last year was a nightmare! As Daniel is getting older he is less tolarent, and get's very distressed when travelling. My Question/Advice, is does anyone know of something that I can give him to calm him or even go to my doctor's and ask if there is any sort of drug that you have tried and worked so that I can give it to him for the flight there and back. Any idea's and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tina
Hi andy and tina

Welcome to the forum! We don't have all the answers but we do have some pretty good people on here who are always ready to help.

It's difficult to advise any drug because doctors aren't keen, and they don't always work because different people respond differently: some people with asd (autism spectrum disorders) are knocked out by amphetamines... Image

However, what you wrote suggests that he doesn't cope with crowds well, and possibly the noise at the airport/on the plane?

Remember that disabled people can be pre-boarded on the plane - you need to arrange this in advance with the airline and explain what the problem is. They are usually sympathetic. A friend of mine has a son who is fairly able but needs to know what is going to happen arranged a visit to the airport before going on holiday - the airport arranged a tour around the whole place and he was no longer worried about what to expect. My son cannot stand crowds because of the noise but he copes better when wearing ear plugs at those times.

I'd also suggest contacting the National Autistic Society - the website was down when I tried it this evening, which is an extreme rarity, but they have a helpline and there is also a wide range of factsheets: there may well be something there for you, and they may know of other things that help. Try http://www.nas.org.uk
Charles, Thank you very much for your advice, I shall get onto the nas society and see what they can suggest.

Tina
Welcome Tina & Andy Image

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you for travelling as I have never taken Mum on a plane, but I just wanted to welcome you both to the forum!

I do hope that you are able to get something sorted for Daniel, so that your trip to Cyprus is a better one that last year!

Take care
Maryann x
Thank you very much.