[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Strategy: Lewis' and McGuire's Evidence to Select Committee - Carers UK Forum

Strategy: Lewis' and McGuire's Evidence to Select Committee

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I do recommend that you read the Ministers' Evidence to the DWP Select Committee's Enquiry into the Government's Carer Strategy, it makes interesting reading:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... c48502.htm
You're right, it does make very interesting reading.
Yes,very interesting reading, I think I will need to go over it again after I think about the first scan.
Thanks for posting this Annie. I watched some of it on the live feed on www.parliament.uk but had to go out before it ended which was just as well as listening to Anne Mcguire was enough to make me want to chuck the computer out the window. Image

First thoughts:

Anne Mcguire said:
Interestingly, carer's allowance, although it obviously has a very high profile, will have a different priority with different groups of carers. It is not always carer's allowance that is the priority, for example, with those who want to balance work and caring, or for those who want to see no disregard or no earnings' limit on any work that they undertake. There are different priorities for different groups of carers. That is why, to be frank with you, it would have been really difficult to come up with a solution that would have satisfied all of those different constituencies within the caring community, within the timeframe of the development of the strategy
Am i missing something or is this woman talking rubbish]It is not always carer's allowance that is the priority, for example, with those who want to balance work and caring, or for those who want to see no disregard or no earnings' limit on any work that they undertake[/quote].

Presumably she means the level that carers allowance is paid at when she says it is not always CA that is the priority. If she doesn't the examples she cites make no sense. One of the problems for carers balancing work and caring is that once you earn above £95 you lose carers allowance so that is also about carers allowance, that is what wanting to see no disregard or no earnings limit on CA means. Image

She also said:
There are different priorities for different groups of carers.....
That is why, to be frank with you, it would have been really difficult to come up with a solution that would have satisfied all of those different constituencies within the caring community, within the timeframe of the development of the strategy.
What is so difficult about raising the level of CA and removing the earnings limit?
What is all this priority nonsense any way....some carers may say the most important thing for them is more practical help but I suspect just because CA wasn't their number one priority doesn't mean it didn't feature pretty high up the list. Is Anne Mcguire saying that because not every single carer said CA was their number one priority the govt need longer to come up with a solution to carer poverty .. 'carers priorities'' as an excuse for not increasing CA as a matter of urgency is frankly a load of rubbish

I was 'disappointed' with this strategy. So 'disappointed' that on the tuesday it came out, after I had got my husband settled in bed I sat down with my usual cup of coffee for my usual hour of 'me time'/space and found myself crying,which is not something I make a habit of because i always end up with 'piggy' eyes and a headache for a couple of days afterwards (and this time was no exception).

From the govt.s point of view I am being a 'model' carer. I am trying to combine work (part time) with care. I'm having albeit for only 8 hours a week what Ivan Lewis says carers want]I have mentioned the outcome of a life of your own alongside your caring role. This is about the right to have a job if you want one. [/quote]

I have just had a fortnight's holiday from a 'life of my own'. I was going to spend it catching up on all the things round the house and garden that i don't usually get round to. Instead I've spent the time when I'm not caring and coping with the normal daily chores, cooking, shopping, laundry etc staring into space.....burnout.

I had the opportunity a few months ago to speak to James Purnell (DWP Minister) at a local meeting held for carers to discuss carers finances. I told him that with apologies to my boss (who was present at the time) I was not working for self fulfillment or self worth I was working because the level of CA was so low I needed the extra money to live on. Not that it was much extra as I lost income support once I earned over £20. I told him that I already have more than one full time job caring..and the carers present agreed with me.

And that is why I was crying....I'm wrecked, I don't feel I'm coping very well at the moment, I've stopped writing lists of things i ought/need to do..they just panic me...and all this strategy seems to be offering me as a 24/7 carer at the moment is the intent to 'reform' Carer benefits in the context of wider welfare reform (which given the changes the govt are making to incapacity benefit with the introduction of tougher work capability tests is worrying) at some unspecified future date and the freedom to carry on doing the time equivilent of more than 4 full time jobs without the financial resources to afford any practical help.

Burnout..........

Sorry for going on.........I'm just so 'disappointed'....
I "balance work and caring." I had no choice - I couldn't afford to stay on benefit.

Fortunately I love my job and wouldn't want to give it up - but I am exhausted.

For me, increasing Carers Allowance is THE top priority because it would help more carers than any other one single act from government, and because it is the only thing that would help those carers that GB and co seem to want to ignore in the hope they will go away. Roll on the protest.
Top two claims "fighting the system" "we want a life of our own " both can be solved overnight put your disabled elderly relative in social care and just walk away from your troubles.
The answers are very long and to talk about the increase of carers allowance as Knee jerk reaction if it was knee jerk reaction the carers allowance would have been increased in 1997 .
Back to work they did mention the cost of replacement care something ive said for months how can any government pay one person £8 or more per hour so we can earn £8 per hour and we still care when back at home, dont we have to sleep ?
2 levels of carers allowance depending on the seriousness of the disability of your caree look even if you just have to sit all day long and be prepared to help at the drop of a hat you are working as a carer the old doll gets very distressed if left alone throughout the night visits to bathroom 3,4,5, times she just cant look after herself to me she is in need of constant care .
but "fighting the system" is what we are going to have to do .
I might have missed it but did not see any mention of carers who gave up work and are in receipt of occupational pension .

ive got no faith in LEWIS & McGUIRE or select committee

lets hope in future they raise the issue of what carers save the N.H.S. SOCIAL SERVICES & LOCAL AUTHORITY.

the carers alowance is doomed in its present format .

GEORGE

ANN McGUIERS statements = if you check my post over the last few weeks - i said that in my opinion the working carers would impact onto the24/7 carers and iam sure that did happen.
Top two claims "fighting the system" "we want a life of our own " both can be solved overnight put your disabled elderly relative in social care and just walk away from your troubles.
GEORGE
Even if you were being serious George, I think everyone here knows thats not an option, the Government hasnt got enough care homes/care staff/money to do that! Why do you think thye lean so heavily on unpaid carers and "Care in the community". Its not about dignity or whatever nonsense they spout, its because they dont have the resources or money to do what they are supposed to and what peoples NI is supposed to pay for. Instead of paying for "Dignity ambassadors" why not pay for nurses, care staff, care places, more CA?

My mother used to work at an Alms house which offered wardened flats to people who were still able to cope (just about) on thier own. When she left it was full of people who NEEDED full time care in a care home but were stuck there because there was no where else for them. They only had carers come in twice a day and it was the housing wardens who ended up doing all the care work at night changing beds or helping people.

I really feel or the elderly, you guys have paid into the system all your lives and fought for the freedom of this country, only to watch the government sell us out to the Germans and instead of care home places, the NHS are buying "art" and the government are buying trips for ministers to amsterdam to look at prostitutes.

I wonder whats going to be happening to my wife and I in 10/20/30 years. were in our early 20s but she needs full time care, probably for the rest fo her life unless there is a major medical breakthrough. Are we going to be sat here on CA and IS till then with no hope of getting a job/our own house/anything more than a breadline living? The only thing I am adamant on is our daughter will not do any of the caring, she needs her own life and friends, not being stuck looking after my wife or even me if anything happened.

I imagine I speak for all of us when i say I'm petrified of breaking a leg. What will happen? We have no support carers ro anything like that.

Grrrr that was a bit of a rant. my bad, I'm just very tired.
Reading through all this waffle here's my take on what they are thinking.!

People are living longer---We'll mess up the NHS so badly -that'll stop that.

Carers are wanting more money--We'll force them all to go to work, stop all benefits as they are now-link them all to work--we will put telecare in to watch the people they care for and if they can answer a phone they are fit for work.

Elderly -sick and disabled?--If we force their carers to go out to work, they won't last long-so we save on benefits and pensions etc. Better make sure we close more care homes- we can't have them escaping that way!

What about gas chambers?--Maybe not just yet-but we can have consultations about introducing them later, after all the price of gas is a bit high at the moment.

My thoughts maybe tongue in cheek but are they so far from what's happening?
No doubt CUK would find something to welcome in there.
It's the new carers I feel sorry for-the future they have to face- I thank God I won't be around much longer, I've served my time.
We moved home for financial reasons my one worry and the old dolls worry was that if carers allowance was stopped overnight we would not be able to cope at previous home, so as we now have a better home and only half the rent we are bothh a lot happier, now to put it bluntly if the allowance was stopped i could still care for her but obviousy we would be just treading water also if the old doll passed away i can remain in this home JUST but why should carers like myself have to keep one jump ahead of problems we now have the benefits review so yet again many carers will be waiting for the bombshell of no allowance or means tested allowance .
I can at last face the future not worrying that much but obviously i need the carers allowance.

iam pleased that for once i dont care if the allowance was stopped .

when at previous home the old doll and myself had talked about the problems we would have to face if the allowance was stopped or if i did not qualify for it the only option was care/ rest home for the old doll and then i would have to find cheap rented home the old doll is lucky she has good pensions £1900 per month all war related pensions but even if she handed over her total pension the local authority would still have to find £1-100 per month for her care so its the old argument of why not give GEORGE £200 PER MONTH AND WE WILL SAVE £900 THE FACTS ARE THERE FOR ALL TO SEE SO WHY CANT THE BLOODY IDIOTS LISTEN TO WHAT WE SAY Image

GEORGE= Image Image Image

We are now with Anchor housing thats why iam happier even in years to come when iam on my own Anchor housing have homes that will be available to me so with a bit of luck i will have some security in my old age no way do i want any of my family members looking after me .
You forgot to mention euthanasia, Kenm. Perhaps they're trying to make life so miserable and hard that it would be welcomed as an escape.