Stephen Johnson on Politics Show

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
You can now watch Stephen on BBC 1 Politics
http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid ... =1&bbcws=1

move the time thing to 9.12

It is absolutley disgusting what this family is going through.

Wendy
BLOODY DISGUSTING

DISCHARGED FROM HOSPITAL TOTALY DISABLED AND TOLD HE IS NO LONGER A HEALTH NEED BUT IS A SOCIAL NEED HAD TO PAY £630 PER WEEK IN PRIVATE NURSING HOME FROM HIS OWN SAVINGS

HIS MOTHER DID DIE FROM THE STRESS AND WORRY OVER HER SON THE N.H.S. SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF ACTIONS LIKE THIS FROM THE CRADLE TO THE GRAVE VIA THE CARE HOME AND HIGH COURT HIS BROTHER IS GOING TO TAKE HIS CASE TO THE HGH COURT .

CARERS UK SHOULD FROM THEIR BUDGET PAY ALL THE COSTS FOR THIS FAMILY IN THEIR FIGHT WITH THE N.H.S.

NO DOUBT SOME TIME IN THE FUTURE WE WILL SEE FAMILY WIN LANDMARK DECISION, ALL OVER CARER UK FORUM .

GEORGE DID NOT LISTEN TO EXPERTS RE THIS CASE AS IAM SICK OF THEM BLAMING EACH OTHER PLEASED YOU POSTED IT WENDY
Hi, there are appeals processes and the discussion if you listened to it this is discussed.

If the primary need is a health need then this is paid for but things like washing and dressing etc is social as we all need it and even if we need help this is a social need.

HEALTH care is free and so if this man needed something which could only be provided with regisitered nurses providing/overseeing the need then that is a health care need like in hospital. Somebody who has had a stroke might for example need feeding through an enteral feeding line. This is a health need. If he cannot wash and dress himself this is social care.

I for one dislike the over emaphasis on older people. There are chronically sick younger people who get nothing and who cares?

Chris
www.mypeggypeg.blogspot.com
How could Judith Humble (that was her name I think) sit there talking calmly of laws and systems when we at the coal face know only too well that there are laws but little justice, systems but few services. Shame on her.

Stephen is a courageous man.
We all care if its for young kids looking after disabled parent young brothers / sisters looking after each other because parents cant cope husbands wives looking after each other be they young or old, sons daughters looking after elderly / disabled parents some times both parents as i did for over 10 years who cares only carers care we know how to look after our own family members and we should be rewarded for what we do as a carer, if its for young or old we save n.h.s. billions in my own case my mother has been hospitilised many times due to various illnesses but as she has a carer at home able to cope she is discharged sooner rather than later this helps with bed blocking and as a carer looking after some one of any age you will hopefully prevent them having accidents in the first place when you see n.h.s. fighting over cash re health needs social needs its just a joke if you are ill and cant do basic needs as a result of an illness its a health need if you are aged as they say and need general care thats social need. so who cares carers do we fight for all carers not just carers from our own groups take pensioners i dont have long till i draw pension so i would lose my carers allowance and get state pension ive been fighting to get this overlapping rule scrapped but what worries government we have many o/rules and they are woried that every other person would want same .

the carers allowance will never be increased and its very simple (bit like me) if the allowance was say just doubled to £100 per week its not a lot but it might just be enough for carers who at the moment work and share their caring but dont get the c/a to give up work and claim carers allowance to double the allowance would cost 1 billion thats for the 700-000 who claim it now governments are not stupid (like me) they know the more we get the more people will move on to the carers allowance .

discuss
hi

i watched it today, i thought it was extremely brave of stephen
to go ahead with this only a few days after his mother died.
maybe this publicity will bring some long awaited results, and
he wont have to go to high court.

krys
Stephen is an incredible man, who has gone through an incredible amount in his fight for his family, at a time when he should have been supported by the nhs and the ss.
I sincerely hope he gets the result he deserves, even though this will be too late for his Mum Image
The distinction between health care and social care is interesting when you come to consider that both are the responsibility of the same government department...
So how do they sleep at night?
All power to Stephen on this: too many cases go to appeal and are turned down for fatuous reasons. Too many people are fighting for what is a clear case of what is right over what costs too much.

Wendy, I reckon they all drink Horlicks.