[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Stair lifts - Carers UK Forum

Stair lifts

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
A bit of background:

I care for my 84 year old Nan and have done for the last 13/14 years. I used to juggle this with work until it became too difficult and now I'm her full time carer, we have carers in for 45 mins a day five days a week to shower her {that in itself is a stressful story}. She is blind in one eye, has a pacemaker and limited walking mobility due to hip problems stemming from illness in childhood. She has various mobility aids but lives in a council house. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to financially put the stair lift in myself and have no other family to ask {My mum died suddenly two years ago this August {a relief, a long story short it was very hard work protecting nan from her daughter!} and my step mum just seven days before that...} My dad is not someone you go to for help and has no thought for others whatsoever! We are in Mid Devon and I am aware that each area operates a different system I'm just after some basic information if at all possible.

If I were the one looking at this my first inclination would be find suitable ground floor accommodation. This has been mentioned and very firmly refused. Nan has lived in this area all her life and in this house for 50 odd years. Moving simply doesn't come into it in her mind!

To the point:

Do social services ever fit stair lifts?

It is likely to be funded by someone other than us?

How can I be sure a stair lift is the right answer? {There is a nagging part of me that suspects this is just about being hurried for a shower by a certain carer which involves going upstairs? She manages them fine of an evening, slow but she can do it. }

If Social Services will put a stair lift in how do I go about contacting them?

Sorry I know this is probably not the right place I just don't want to stir up a hornets nest and then have to fight to let Nan stay in her home if there is an alternative.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

Adding this info at the top as it is more relevant to your question....
http://stayhomestairlifts.com/grants-fo ... facilities

What is a Disabled Facilities Grant?

These are funds allocated by councils for disabled people to change their homes including the installation of stair lifts. The grants do not affect benefits.

Eligibility

The council needs to be sure the work is necessary, reasonable and can be done. The council will usually send an Occupational Therapist to visit to determine this. There are other criteria:

Either the applicant or someone living at the property is disabled.
Either the applicant or the person they are applying for owns the property or is a tenant.
There is an intention to stay at the property for at least five years (repayment of a grant may be required if this condition is not satisfied and, in certain cases, if the recipient moves out before ten years elapses).
A landlord may apply for a disabled tenant.
The applicant is responsible for planning permission or building regulations approval.

When I was having problems with social services in the past they were throwing everything at me as I was refusing everything.
One of the people they got to come out to us was from the council about alterations to the property for the disabled.
One of the things mentioned was a stair lift.
We didn't want one and I'd contacted him ahead of his visit to tell him there was nothing we wanted. He said he had to come because it had been a request from social services or occupational health (I can't recall which now).
So he came out, asked what we wanted and I said we didn't want anything thanks. He looked quite miffed that his time had been wasted.

So I would say it's either social services or occupational health who can arrange this but you might also find that it's possible by contacting your housing association yourself which is what I would try first but then I no longer trust SS or OT.

It would appear to be possible for housing associations / councils to make the required alterations to a property.
I don't know if this applies to you but I've just discovered that it's possible to get a grant to help with getting a stair lift.
Scruffy.
If you did have a stair lift fitted make sure that your nan can sit down easily in it and more importantly get up from it. A low seat is easy to drop down into but more difficult to get
up from.

As I said in another thread I have to help my wife get up from our strair lift chair.

One can get perching stair lifts where one is half standing up all the way.
oh the one thing I didn't think about was sitting on it, I think there is zero chance she'll manage that, we have MAJOR issues with raised chairs let alone an unadjustable stair lift. She's unable to sit with her legs straight down they have to go outwards I have a feeling this could be a MAJOR issue on a stair lift!
Sall the Bibliophile wrote:oh the one thing I didn't think about was sitting on it, I think there is zero chance she'll manage that, we have MAJOR issues with raised chairs let alone an unadjustable stair lift. She's unable to sit with her legs straight down they have to go outwards I have a feeling this could be a MAJOR issue on a stair lift!
Maybe a perching stair lift would be more suitable then if your nan could stand.
Google. 'Perching stair lift' to see details and pictures of them.

But as the person is near standing all the way they do need a lot of headroom.
and I don't think they can swivel at the top of stairs as the chair type can if
required. Might be a dismounting problem up there.

One can get 'through the floor' proper lifts but they are very expensive
and need the space to fit them in.