[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Govt benefits for Carers - Carers UK Forum

Govt benefits for Carers

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Myself and my wife are going to see Welfare rights officer on Monday 15th Aug, as my wife has got too stage where she needs me full time. What hope is there that I can get more than just "mean" carers allowance, that's a joke. Could I be entitled to income support or anything else? My wife gets high rate DLA and high rate ESA, which is down to this welfare officers help, she has been brilliant, filling in forms etc, my wife didn't even get a ATOS medical, they passed her on strength of forms and docs evidence alone. I am working at moment getting Tax Credits, so really need to get close to £200 a week, some chance I know!
Too many rules to check on here - your welfare rights worker looks to have it all in hand, best to leave it to her.
Well, I might add something, Redroadshow. Your wife might need care full-time, but that doesnt mean that she needs your care full time. Most carers arrange for support from other people for at least part of the time to give themselves a break. 24/7 care is unsustainable in the long term and can cause significant physical and/or mental health issues for the carer. We all need a break, and we also need enough money to live on.
I get some help from other family members and also from paid staff and so on. This enables me to go out and earn a wage, which reduces my financial problems considerably.
To get this support I have developed a close and largely friendly relationship with my social services department, who can bring in additional help in cash or kind. They are not the enemy: they are my first call.
I agree she doesn't need MY care, but as things stand she doesn't want a stranger in her home. To be honest I would prefer that option, as staying at work would probably help keep me sane, as being with her 24/7 would probably be too much, will have to see what happens.
I agree she doesn't need MY care, but as things stand she doesn't want a stranger in her home. To be honest I would prefer that option, as staying at work would probably help keep me sane, as being with her 24/7 would probably be too much, will have to see what happens.
Well yes, but your needs are worth exactly as much as hers, and being reasonable isnt the same thing as being popular. Sometimes you have to be fair to yourself to survive. And money is always important: the bills have to be paid.
redroadshow Hi
I took redundancy in march to care for my hubby, his care needs were increasingly dramactically and I could no longer sustain the emotional and physical effort involved in working caring and looking after 2 kids.

From next week we are getting 2 four hour respite sits a week. My hubby has never wanted carers in but we have both had to admit that caring 24/7 is straining my health both mental and physical as well as our relationship.

Would I hve stopped work totally if I'd have known then what I know now.... probably because his health is so unpredictable but I would also have organised time for myself right from the begining. As Scally says sometimes you have to be fair to yourself to survive.
Hi Redroadshow,

I agree with everyone on here.. please keep aside you-time - vitally important. Imperative.

Both of my daughters have ASDs - Eldest is moderately autistic and my Youngest Daughter (has Asperger's Syndrome and traits of a condition called Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome) will be starting boarding at her new special needs school 2 nights a week in September. It's going to have a bit of a negative impact on the family finances. However, the cost to my health has been far, far greater. What good is there in having a broken mind?

I am going to welcome that break, repair myself (I'm recovering from a nervous breakdown - the psychological impact of long-term caring finally taking its toll on me a couple of months ago) then aim to slowly reintroduce myself to the outside world again.

And it will benefit all of us in the long term Image

So yes, arrange that me-time Image
Sezzie x x x
Thanks for all the replies, we have decided that I will plod on working and being a carer, will see social svces for extra daytime help if required. I work 8am-4.30pm, and our son doesn't start work till 10am, so she is only on her own for 6hrs. She wants me to have my own time, and sends me off for day with son occasionally, must try and continue this, even when weather gets wintry.