[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Census 2011 is coming - Carers UK Forum

Census 2011 is coming

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
134 posts
Every decade a census takes place. A census counts the population and households in a given area. Everyone is asked to complete a confidential questionnaire on the same day – this year it will be 27 March 2011 – so that a snapshot can be taken of the country on one day. Census questionnaires are then turned into statistics which are used by government, businesses, academics and many others to help identify need and plan services and facilities for the future.

Since 2001, thanks to campaigning by Carers UK, the census has included a question about caring, which has meant we have the most accurate picture ever of carers across the UK.

The census is compulsory by law although certain questions such as religion are optional, you must complete all of the other questions. Failure to complete it can result in a fine, and according the census website "a limited number of people were prosecuted for failing to comply with this obligation" in 2001.

Householders will have a choice to submit their answers to census questions online or by post. An accessibility area on the website will provide video and audio assistance for people who are visually impaired or deaf. A multi-lingual telephone helpline will also be available.

In 2011 accessible formats will include the following:

· large print questionnaires
· Braille guidance
· audio CD and cassette tapes
· Easy Read guidance
· British Sign Language (BSL) video clips and a BSL DVD

Find out more at www.census.gov.uk.
Maybe i can,perhaps,at last assert my Irish identity on the form,we shall see,but,will there be space to record young carers?.Log children who are carers,I wonder?.
The last census allowed space to count young carers - about 175,000 under 18s I think (working from memory here) - but the problem is that they don't fill in the forms, their parents do. In other words the people receiving the care, who may not realise or accept the level of support they are receiving from their kids. Ignoring the fear of losing their kids if social services find out...it's why the more recent BBC estimate was more likely accurate - the kids identified themselves.

The new census will still rely on one person to complete the form: the "head" of the household.
being able to state your a carer is great and should always be on the form. however alot still dont see themselves as carers, so the figures could be alot higher than what the figures say. i know cuk do alot to find the missing carers. i wish the government would run a advert so those missing can be found..
i think that every caree cared for by a child should ensure they make it clear,on the census form.

we must get as clear a picture as possible.
didnt people state they where jedi knights on the last one because it came about the same time the new film did?

Ive not been on a cencus since the 90s' as i was lodging with a friedn and he thought he would get in trouble so i dissapeared for 20 yrs lol

Ive never filled one in but will make sure if there is space to put im a carer i will put a huge tick or cross wot ever it is needed in that box
We Can,We can say we are carers.BUT Children cannot.Thats the issue.To Empower Them,We need to flag this issue up bigtime.
being able to state your a carer is great and should always be on the form. however alot still dont see themselves as carers, so the figures could be alot higher than what the figures say. i know cuk do alot to find the missing carers. i wish the government would run a advert so those missing can be found..
When we lobbied for the question we felt it was important that it doesn't mention the word carer. So the question is not "Are you a carer" but rather "Do you look after someone who relies on your help because they are old or disabled" - or words to that effect.
I understand your thinking re-the wording.Make it too elusive and those who might be carers,in fact,wont assert so.WE MUST,I think,use EVERY oppotunity to find-out how many carers ,of ALL ages,from youngest to oldest,there are,now,today,in the UK.

Pity of it is we get one chance,as far as the census is concerned,in a decade.One go every ten years.So,we must,I feel,make the questions inclusive,easy,basic.
i agree with maxi- EVERY CARER no matter wot age needs to be counted ,
how many are going with out help and support they need because they dont know it themselves or feel to isolated to say?
134 posts