[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Social Care FUNDING : GREEN Or RED HERRING PAPER ? Various Schemes And Utter Madness : All Together In This Thread - Page 18 - Carers UK Forum

Social Care FUNDING : GREEN Or RED HERRING PAPER ? Various Schemes And Utter Madness : All Together In This Thread

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
179 posts
Health and care systems must be integrated

The lack of a unified approach leads to a scandalous waste of scarce public resources, says David Hinchliffe

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... integrated
My only concern is what happens when they merge and say no.
At least if you can't get CHC there is usually something from Social Services...……..

Out of curiosity, I found out how much social workers get paid.
£34,000 for a basic one,
Team Leaders, into the £40,000
The head of LD gets £120,000!!!!

Me? I get nothing. I'm even expected to attend meetings 15 miles away and can't claim mileage.

Is it unreasonable of me to expect these people to do their jobs properly?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/pensi ... arned.html

Social care 'cracks are turning into chasms' and system faces collapse in 2029, the Government is warned in an alarming report

*Call for a review of £23,250 wealth threshold at which financial support kicks in
*Annual care fees average nearly £35,000 in for-profit residential homes
*Government has delayed a promised social care plan since 2017
*But Tories offered a 'guarantee' in last election that no one needing care will have to sell their home to pay for it
Agree BB I am fed up of correcting other peoples mistakes, and doing the work they should be doing.

They get paid so much that they should be able to get it right.

Half my life I spend looking after my two sons, the other half is phone calls, meetings, appeals, benefit claims, standing up to injustice etc.

I end up having taxis to get to some meetings as I dont drive..theres only so long I can afford to keep this up on my 1.79 per hour carers allowance!

This system is a mess.
Matt Hancock asks MPs and peers for views on adult social care reform
Health secretary says he wants to solve problem of people being hit with large costs

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... are-reform
“We know this will not be easy,” Hancock said in his letter. “The number of reports that have been published in recent years with different suggested approaches shows how difficult it is to reach agreement on the best way to reform the social care system.”

The government has committed to the principle that nobody should be forced to sell their home to pay for care, saying that everybody accessing care must have safety and security.

The letter sets out a two-step timeline for social care reform talks. The first phase began on Friday, calling for the views of MPs. The next steps will be structured talks in May on reform options. The letter says Hancock welcomed “all views, proposed solutions, and concerns about reforming the way people pay for adult social care”.
But Barbara Keeley, the shadow minister for mental health and social care, said: “The prime minister promised voters that he had a plan to fix the social care crisis but now all we see is an open-ended invitation for comments.

“As we have repeatedly said, cross-party talks can only be effective when the government comes forward with their proposals for reform. It’s clear that it doesn’t have a plan to fix the crisis in social care.

Caroline Abrahams, the charity director at Age UK, agreed: “Unfortunately, this announcement, issued on a Friday afternoon, will not fill anyone who cares about the future of social care with much confidence.
Family carers and friends are plugging the social care gap for people with MS

One in six carers are providing 90 hours of unpaid care every week, research finds

Fredi Cavander-Attwood, Policy Manager at the MS Society, said: “The adult social care system is under more pressure than ever and failing to provide the support older people, disabled adults and their families need.

"Residents of the UK now have a 65% chance of providing unpaid care in their adult lives – massively impacting their employment prospects, financial stability, and health and wellbeing.

“More than 130,000 people live with MS in the UK, and it shouldn’t be assumed that their family and friends can plug the gaps in our broken social care system.

We need a fair, effective and properly funded care system across the UK so no one is forced to give up work to ensure their loved one gets proper support.”
https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/peo ... ap-1889900
As another review of social care funding begins, here's a reminder that we've been here before

https://twitter.com/RichardatKF/status/ ... 8173077507

A summary/timeline of various consultations leading nowhere.

Melly1
Coronavirus has exposed the gaping holes in social care. But it is also a chance for change.

This crisis might achieve one thing: voters supporting Andy Burnham’s plan to bring social care into the NHS.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... urnham-nhs

When this is over, will there be an upsurge of support for social carers – and a willingness to pay that 15% retirement asset tax to fund a decent service with well-paid staff? Labour should certainly join Johnson’s discussions. But expect a heavy Tory lobby for some insurance-based, voluntary scheme. If this happens, Labour should walk away to promote a universal, compulsory, joint NHS and care service. If the Tories try branding it a “death tax” this time, they may find it backfires after too many staff and residents died for lack of a tax to pay for good enough care.

A glint of sunshine through the prevailing gloom ????
After this virus is finally defeated, we will get back to normal, but it won't be the old normal, it will be a new normal. Rather like after a bereavement in a family, nothing is ever quite the same. This is THE Golden Opportunity to get the recognition that family carers have longed for, starting with increasing CA to equate to the minimum wage, in terms not just of money, but entitlements to sick pay and holiday pay/respite arrangements.
179 posts