[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sloppy Carers - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Sloppy Carers

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
My caree had all the care set up on his tablet, he could see when they were turning up every day and it showed the times clock in 8.02, clock out 8.29.
So it gave an electronic record for everyone to see.
Useful for relatives they could log in check everything was alright, carers turning up as they should.
So was a good care agency in that respect.

Other agencys had a manual folder, carers had to put date time and what they done, wash dress breakfast etc.

There should be some records especially as you are paying yourselfs.
Sorry if someone could correct, should be

Useful for relatives
Corrected.
Melly1
Things improved for a while, I'm scared about annoying the agency as they were the only ones in the area capable of taking on four doubles ups a day, the only alternative is a nursing home for Mum which neither of us want.

Today Mums morning call lasted 13 minutes, which is unacceptable, was given less than 5 minutes on the commode at night, I was in the house and they claimed Mum shouted she was ready, I must be going deaf.

I have a ring doorbell and will be recording times again. At £2400 a month I shouldn't be forced into doing this!!!
It is very difficult to get good quality care and yes you should not have to record the carers.

The only other way if there are no other agencys is to employ carers yourself.

Adverts in the paper/Newsagents windows and you could build yourself up a team of carers doing your hours.

There are carers who do not work for agencys just work for themselves.

I have seen a few in my area, have a little car with writing on, Home Care supplied phone etc.
But again difficult if one of your carers is sick you would have to find a replacement, unlike agencys who will just send another carer.
I know of carees who do use these private carers instead of an agency and works fairly well, so might be worth a try.
You would have to ensure 365 days coverage, account for holidays etc, you would have to research tax etc as technically you would be a boss, working out hours, time sheets, wages so not as easy as you think.

That's why many people use agencys, easier.
Hi Alan! £2400 per month is a ridiculous amount of money for the services provided. Especially since you are saying they are barely existent. Is this only Monday to Friday? Or every day? For the same amount of money, you could even get live-in care for her. I hired an amazing Filipino carer for my grandmother. She lives in the house from Monday to Friday. I am not familiar with domicilia1ry care, but based on what you've explained, I suggest you do something to change the situation. Your mum deserves better!
Andrea_1912 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:05 am
Hi Alan! £2400 per month is a ridiculous amount of money for the services provided.
It's actually what you could call a perfectly normal rate if the service provided was actually what is being paid for.

4 double handed visits per day for 30 minutes = 4 hours per day - you won't find many agencies charging less than £20 per hour - so 4 X £20 = £80 x 30 days = £2.400.00.

I pay £28.74 per hour for my wife's carers, but I have no complaints about them, and it's fully covered by her Attendance Allowance with about £6.00 left over.
Ayjay is spot on about the fees, £20 an hour for this kind of service is standard. Sadly less than half goes to the actual carers themselves..

My main complaint would be the need for Mum to have double up calls, I'm told its for Health and Safety, yet whenever it suits the agency they only send one carer who does the job perfectly but spends a bit more time.
Alan_19111 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:35 pm

My main complaint would be the need for Mum to have double up calls, I'm told its for Health and Safety, yet whenever it suits the agency they only send one carer who does the job perfectly but spends a bit more time.
My wife has to be hoisted for any transfers, but I'm the designated second carer for that, our carers definitely wouldn't do it on their own - it is a H&S issue - they're not even allowed to take her from the bedroom to the bathroom to put her on her bath seat - but I do, on my own, and all the other transfers on my own, seven mornings from commode to wheelchair and seven nights from wheelchair to bed - the carers do four mornings from bed to commode with me as the engine and that's it.
Im hoping they are not charging you for two carers when only one shows up! I had this issue with mum's care and took them to safeguarding and got about £1400 back. How many signatures in the careplan when this happens? Is one carer forging the other's signature Is it the agency that is only sending one carer. It is a health and safety issue for carees who cannot support themselves