[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Showing blue badge photo - Carers UK Forum

Showing blue badge photo

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi I'm new here and just wondered if someone would mind helping me with a query. I have a disabled son and use his blue badge whenever he is with me. The other day when I went to the shops with him a cleaner of the parking area asked to see the blue badge photo and asked whether it was mine. I explained it was for my son and didn't feel right in having to prove to him that it was my sons photo. My son has good days and bad days and on this day he was having a good day so it wouldn't have looked as though he was disabled.

Should I have been asked to prove that the disabled badge was for my son and did he have the right to ask to see the photo?

Many thanks
I'm unsure of an "official" answer, but when the badge is displayed in a vehicle and no-one from the vehicle is there then no-one in officialdom can see the photo.

When we've used my wife's to claim free passage over the Severn Bridge, the booth operator has always turned it over and checked the photo.
Hi

No an enforcement officer of both County Council and City Council can access the number and see who it has been issued to so they don't need to ask to see photo. I was once parked in bay and returned quickly to my car laden with shopping a little out of breath when approached by said enforcement officer. Who then declared that I was not using badge as disable person was not with me. So I said he was welcome to come to M&S and have lunch with us, where said disabled person in wheelchair was waiting for my return. As could not push and carry shopping in one go. He declined my kind offer.
Nothing on having to produce a photo with a blue badge in the official guidelines :

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/ri ... ge-holders

Quick trawl through the RAC site ... nothing mentioned.

Strong suspicion that if there are national guidelines , it would be akin to a post code lottery ... did the traffic warden feel grumpy that morning ... could be as simple as that ?

How many security guards REALLY check every vehicle coming through a gate ?

Yell ... and I'll trawl further.
Hi many thanks.

Felt quite intimidated and shocked. Also thought he was being a bit discriminating also as not all disabilities that are eligible for blue badge are obvious.

:D
One for the diary ... met Mr. Grumpy this morning for the first , and hopefully , last time ?
Patricia_1806 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:55 pm
Hi many thanks.

Felt quite intimidated and shocked. Also thought he was being a bit discriminating also as not all disabilities that are eligible for blue badge are obvious.

Sadly it's the amount of misuse of Blue Badges that prompts such queries. I'd welcome them, especially if the disability isn't obvious, as it would deter the system abusers
When I was waiting for two knee replacements, I had a blue badge. I was once challenged by someone simply because I drove a Land Rover Discovery. I needed it for my business.
I think they were overstepping the mark. Not for the cleaner to query, probably because you didn't look sufficiently disabled - in their opinion.
MrsAverage wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:20 pm
Patricia_1806 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:55 pm
Hi many thanks.

Sadly it's the amount of misuse of Blue Badges that prompts such queries. I'd welcome them, especially if the disability isn't obvious, as it would deter the system abusers
This sums things up quite well.

It sounds like this was a shoppers' car park attached to a supermarket or shopping mall (many of which are run privately, not by the council). A council enforcement officer would not be involved here. It is the responsibility of the shop to control parking. To cut down on abusers of disabled parking spaces, a "cleaner" or other member of staff had been asked to check. Nothing wrong with that - on the contrary, good that someone is protecting spaces reserved for the disabled.

The various codes on the blue badge are for council enforcement officers and would be meaningless to shop staff. Hence the request to check the photo.

I would not worry about whether or not they are entitled to check the photo; just show it anyway if asked. No harm done. You are helping them to cater better for the disabled. And if you can show the blue card and photo for the disabled person, that's that - no argument.