[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[b]SURVEY [/b] - Carers UK Forum

[b]SURVEY [/b]

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
HOW MANY CARERS ON THIS FORUM WANT TO COMBINE CARE AND WORK?
HOW MANY PEOPLE DO YOU CARE FOR?
DO YOU CONSIDER YOUR CARING ROLE TO BE INTENSIVE?
DO YOU QUALIFY FOR CARERS ALLOWANCE?
DO YOU GET ANY FORM OF RESPITE CARE?

DO YOU FEEL THAT REPLACEMENT CARE WOULD PROVIDE - A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE FOR YOU AND THE PERSON YOU CARE FOR?

For your attention;

http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd5/rpo ... rep597.pdf
[quote]HOW MANY CARERS ON THIS FORUM WANT TO COMBINE CARE AND WORK? (Dont know)
HOW MANY PEOPLE DO YOU CARE FOR? (1)
DO YOU CONSIDER YOUR CARING ROLE TO BE INTENSIVE? (No)
DO YOU QUALIFY FOR CARERS ALLOWANCE?(No)
DO YOU GET ANY FORM OF RESPITE CARE?(No)

DO YOU FEEL THAT REPLACEMENT CARE WOULD PROVIDE - A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE FOR YOU AND THE PERSON YOU CARE FOR?(No)
care & work = cant be done to expensive for state to supply cover

YES.
YES.
NO. UNLESS IAM ILL OR I PAY FOR IT .
NO- WE DONT WANT STRANGERS LOOKING AFTER THE OLD DOLL.
My wife, daughter and I currently combine work with caring for my son.

HOW MANY PEOPLE DO YOU CARE FOR? 1

At times it can be demanding, but usually not. Today for example we went swimming and riding the flumes, I would hardly call that hard work!

As my earnings and expenses are very variable, some months I do, sometimes not.

Yes, my son is at mainstream school and college five days a week. He also has a support worker and a flexible budget.

DO YOU FEEL THAT REPLACEMENT CARE WOULD PROVIDE - A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE FOR YOU AND THE PERSON YOU CARE FOR?
Not at age 15, no. At age 21 probably yes. No child should have to live with their parents once they become an adult. I've seen this happen - the result is that the child is never allowed to grow up or have proper age-appropriate fun.
My wife, daughter and I currently combine work with caring for my son.

At times it can be demanding, but usually not. Today for example we went swimming and riding the flumes, I would hardly call that hard work!

As my earnings and expenses are very variable, some months I do, sometimes not.

Yes, my son is at mainstream school and college five days a week. He also has a support worker and a flexible budget.

Not at age 15, no. At age 21 probably yes. No child should have to live with their parents once they become an adult. I've seen this happen - the result is that the child is never allowed to grow up or have proper age-appropriate fun.

It's not always that straightforward Excalibur.

Your son is 15 and you're assuming rather a lot. What about if he gets to 21 and does not want to leave home? My DD did 2 years at a residential college and in lots of ways it was 2 years wasted. Some thrived and loved it but she did not. She spent the last 6 months in a state of panic because the staff were talking to them all about next steps after leaving college. She got it into her head that we would be sending her off somewhere else and she would not see us again. It was months of hell for us I can assure you!

Believe me, if she wanted to leave home and the right help was available I would be more than happy.

What is age-appropriate fun? Image You may also find that that is a bit thin on the ground too.

I've just come back from a short break (with DD of course) and I saw half a dozen young disabled people being pushed around in wheelchairs by bored-looking helpers. It was a seaside resort and all the helpers had cigarettes hanging out of their mouths and were discussing what they were going to be drinking when they got their "residents" to bed. I sat and watched them for a good half hour and found it very depressing. The wheelchair occupants were left facing the sea (presumably for the view) while the helpers struggled to light their fags in the sea wind. Not once did they engage in any sort of communication with them. The fags were finished, firmly ground into the prom, the wheelchairs were spun around and off they went again. No clothing was adjusted (despite the temperature cooling off as ther sun went in) nobody made more comfortable. To be honest they might as well have been empty wheelchairs.

I kept thinking "there will be parents somewhere feeling happy and grateful that their kids have been taken on holiday to the seaside." Image Image

For your attention;

http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd5/rpo ... rep597.pdf

Sorry Entity - got a bit carried away. Image

1. I care for one full-time but also care for an elderly parent who lives alone.

2. Yes

3. Yes, for DD.

4. Image Image I wish!

5. Will read up on it!
Yes, because he needs everything doing for him, but that said, once he's washed, dressed, fed etc. and comfotably ensconced in his chair he's fine until his next need arises.
No, I work part time. I don't come out with much more than if I didn't, but that not much more allows us to live, not just exist. It means that if he fancies going out we can, I don't have to worry about what we will eat because we spent the weeks housekeeping on petrol and fish and chips! It means I can give him a good quality diet and replace the things that get damaged (apart from me!) in the course of living with disability. It means I can turn on the heating when he's cold. It's suprising just what that little bit extra does but, it also means he spends time alone with only the tv and the animals, I run around like a headless chicken half the time, if anything happens he's reliant on me getting home to sort it out and I am reliant on a brilliant employer who lets me drop everything and go and on brilliant colleagues who 'pick up the pieces' for me! It makes for a whole lot of stress for me, that I could well do without, but it's worth it for the things it gives my oh, like a life.
And yes, we are lucky for me still to be able to work as many here don't have that option.
No

Not at all, replacement care in our case would mean a care home, he would hate it and so would I. Or it would mean an army of people (Health and Safety) tramping through our home at hours to suit them, not us, providing they turn up at all or actually have long enough to do everything properly!
A study of carers based on only 55 people is useless!

HOW MANY CARERS ON THIS FORUM WANT TO COMBINE CARE AND WORK? I cannot combine care and work, it's not a question of "want to". I would if I could work at home, but that's not possible.
DO YOU CONSIDER YOUR CARING ROLE TO BE INTENSIVE? No. My husband is nearly completely helpless, but his basic needs are minimal for now, although that could change.
DO YOU QUALIFY FOR CARERS ALLOWANCE? Yes
DO YOU GET ANY FORM OF RESPITE CARE? Haven't ask yet and I would only do so under an emergency situation. The only respite care I would consider is hospice.

DO YOU FEEL THAT REPLACEMENT CARE WOULD PROVIDE - A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE FOR YOU AND THE PERSON YOU CARE FOR? No. My husband's mental and physical health would decline even faster if an assortment of carers showed up whenever they felt like it, versus when he needs or asks for support.
Only about a half of carers spending the most time (between 20 and 49 hours) caring
per week were in employment in 2001. The challenges of combining paid work
and informal care seems to particularly affect those undertaking substantial hours
of caring per week.
Talk about stating the obvious!!! They pay people to research this!!!!
In addition, if carers with substantial and/or intensive caring responsibilities are to
be encouraged to remain in work, consider getting back into work or simply want
to keep a toehold in the labour market, the earnings rules for entitlement to CA
may need to be reviewed.
Genius !!
I totally agree.
How can this be a fair reflection of the population moreover, those who do provide substantial amounts of care, are not fairly represented as a lot of them are housebound themselves and are not consulted.

For instance there are 5,000 members signed up to this forum yet, only a few people are contributing to this survey. The question is are they disillusioned with the way charities seek their views and nothing changers -so don’t contribute or is it just apathy?

I have found that charity sites, are just advertising spaces for the government moreover, they omit the negative so the public are once again being mislead.