[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
should we relie on cuk - Carers UK Forum

should we relie on cuk

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
dont get me wrong there do a great job on our behalf. but should we just let then do it all on there own? should we all be doing our bit to help. we can all do our bit too, things like writing to your mp, the party leaders anyone who has a say on how things are going to affect us all.
cuk and the other charties cannot do it all.

for me i have sent a open invitation to mr osbourne and my mp to spend one week doing my caring roll and for the 53.90 a week that i get. i dont expect that there will do it. but i just want to see what there have to say. more so as there want us to do it for that amount of money. lets see if there would do it for that amount
I have written to my MP several times re the proposed cuts and he e-mailed back that he 'is very concerned with your situation'. That's it Image

Also written to David Cameron who passed it on to the DWP.

Also written to my MP direct at the government offices. His secretary e-mailed me back saying they would be in touch again.

Let's face it they just don't care Image
we cant rely on anyone be they a group or individuals to help us ,,, i send out not just e-mails but "real letters" every week sometimes daily we have to get out point over ,,, and as a 24/7 carer i want those in power to know what we do ,
Wrote to our MP on 7th Sept.
He replied on 13th Sept that he'd passed our letter over to a) Chief Exec of PCT and b) Sec of State for Health, asking for their comments, which he'll pass onto us.

It's now 18th October, nothing yet.

Our MP is very good, he will reply quite rapidly and personally sign each letter, but the people he passes stuff onto are not so good at replying. I suppose they have such a huge workload and mailbags full to the brim with letters from the entire disabled population and their carees.
Wrote to our MP on 7th Sept.
He replied on 13th Sept that he'd passed our letter over to a) Chief Exec of PCT and b) Sec of State for Health, asking for their comments, which he'll pass onto us.

It's now 18th October, nothing yet.

Our MP is very good, he will reply quite rapidly and personally sign each letter, but the people he passes stuff onto are not so good at replying. I suppose they have such a huge workload and mailbags full to the brim with letters from the entire disabled population and their carees.
Government departments have a fixed deadline for responding to MPs. Not sure what it is now but when I worked at a Jobcentre we had a fortnight from receipt of letter to getting the reply to the MP, although sometimes that might be a holding response while we arranged to interview the person concerned and tried to find out what the problem was.

As a quick aside, one of the MPs was Greville Janner - he once passed a letter on to us that started]http://www.carersuk.org/images/icon_lol.gif[/img] Image
what happens if they don't stick to the deadline?
Our MP wrote to Social Services and the jobcentre plus on behalf of Rhys two years ago. Jobcentre had responded,and dealt with the issues within about three days,then wrote back to the MP. Social Services(the head of the Housing and Social Care), had to have two more letters written by the MP before he responded.(took about 6 weeks before he got back to the MP).
Ahhh, Charles.
So it was YOU who used to send the claimants from the Job Centre up to me working in the Dole Office to get them 'signed on'!

If anyone turned up WITHOUT going to the Job Centre first, I used to send em back down there. Had to come to the Dole Office with a little card, saying that they HAD been to the Job Centre. Signed by your good self probably.

Hee hee. How funny is that? (roll on April 1st then we can have a real laugh)
Mind is working with 30 other charities collectivley on the theme of benifits.I dont know if CUK is one of these,if not,maybe it should be.

No one charity can ever deliver.Makes sence to network on shared values with other charities.

but,yes we,as individuals can lobby.

I lobby my M.P. A.M,s,relevent ministers etc.I cannot depend on cuk or anyone else to deliver for me.
Ahhh, Charles.
So it was YOU who used to send the claimants from the Job Centre up to me working in the Dole Office to get them 'signed on'!
Fran, I came in just at the time when the previous Tory government decided to stop compulsory registration at the Jobcentre to cut posts. It was a costly mistake that they eventually reversed. They were installing "messageswitch", a dreadful computer system they bought off British Gas who must have seen a right Charlie coming because it crashed on its very first day.

Anyway, back to the thread.

You're right, Maxi. As long as the central message of CUK isn't lost in the shuffle - support for the carer - then it makes a huge amount of sense to work together with other organisations. As an example, 30 organisations with an actual membership of 9,000 carries a lot more weight politically than one on its own, ignoring their wider constituencies for the moment.
Paul - Would you consider getting some media behind you (e.g. asking your local paper or someone to contact your MP/Mr Osbourne to give your invitation to him/her again)? I wonder if publicising your invite might get an interesting response. I would love to see an MP accept your invite..... I understand completely that you might not want the publicity, though. All the best, Joy.